Slate roofing - correct way to lay out slates

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by chickenchop, Mar 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. chickenchop

chickenchop New Member

I'm slating a small garden shed, first time attempting this and have followed various videos about batten gauge, slate and a half etc but can't find any advice on how to correctly lay/trim the slate when the width of the slate doesn't map perfectly/tesselate with that of the roof length.

My understanding:
    - full slate or slate and half are best on ends as they are larger and therefore less vulnerable to very windy days. Small width slates on ends should be avoided (I could be wrong).

In the photo attached you can see I've started each side and worked inwards but I can see this approach is likely to be a bit of a nightmare once I meet in the middle. You can see the tiny width bottom slate.

Should I:
    1) Continue with what I'm doing and use large slates to make up for the tiny amount of space remaining
    2) Remove all the slates on the right and continue from the left and finish with some smaller end slates on the right
    3) Something else?

Attached Files:

2. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

You should have set out at the eaves from one end. Start with a whole slate and see how it worked out.

3. chickenchop

chickenchop New Member

So setting the eves slate out all along the bottom would have spotted this earlier but what do you do when you realise one end will finish short (short width slate). What's the recommended approach?

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Isn’t the cut in the eaves a half slate ? Odds are from the left full slate to slightly trimmed slate+half, next row slate+half to slightly trimmed slate ;)
    Basically reverse bond

chickenchop and stuart44 like this.
  5. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Does look like that.
    chickenchop, it means stripping off one half.
    You have made it a bit harder for yourself anyway to lay the top slates, even it the bond did work out.

chickenchop likes this.
  6. chickenchop

chickenchop New Member

Thanks both for the info. I'll remove the right half tomorrow and continue.

Stuart44 - Regarding the top slates I haven't done the other side yet so access is straight forward.