Slate tile varnish? What, where and how much?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Blue Floyd, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Blue Floyd

Blue Floyd New Member

We've tiled our bathroom floor with real slate tiles. I have sealed them with an impregnating sealer but want them to have the wet-look to bring the colour of the stone out. They are now dry and collecting dirt they just look c**p! Can anyone recommend a product to bring the colour out and give the tile a wet look which isn't going to break the bank. Also where to buy it.

Many thanks

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

3. check theat the Lithofin products are compatible with the current impregnator. Some are acid some are alkalai.

Also you may have a problem with slate seal, as technically it's a impregnator rather than a polish.

What have you used already? It all revolves around this I'm afraid.

4. Blue Floyd

Blue Floyd New Member

I've used HG impregnating sealer from Topps Tiles. The sales guy there couldn't recommend, or sell me anything, that could give the tiles a gloss finish.

5. OK, don't use any Lithofin product as you will have a chemical reaction.

Having now sealed the slate you'll need to find a polish rather than a glossy slate seal.

Buy a bottle of HG Golvpolish, treat one or two tiles with it and leave overnight, if you like it, this will work, if you don't like it, it can be removed with HG remover and return the slate to it's dusty condition.

Don't use anything by other manufacturers now, there is a high chance of chemical reactions, so stick with HG.

6. Blue Floyd

Blue Floyd New Member

Thanks for your help!