Sleeper retaining wall post position

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by CastleClimber, Mar 22, 2021.

1. CastleClimber

CastleClimber New Member

Hi all!

I’m building a retaining wall out of 100x200x2400 pressure treated pine sleepers. The wall will have two tiers with a 400mm gap between them, each tier will be 700m high with vertical sleepers used as posts. Each post reaches 700mm underground. The posts are bedded in with several bags of postcrete (waste of money I know.. I’ll probably use wetmix for the upper wall). Walls will be holding back clay and will have gravel at their backs and a perforated pipe within landscapers fabric.

I have begun construction and have been fixing the horizontal sleepers to the front of the posts. This was to ensure easy access in case the horizontals need replacing but it occurred to me that the force of the earth behind the wall will be transferring its weight into the 6.7mm timberlock post screws instead of distributing it directly into the vertical posts.

Though painful, it’s not too late for me to swap the horizontal posts to the back of the vertical posts and accept the loss of 100mm off the width of my garden... what would you advise I do?