Sliding Wardrobes- does anyone make their own glass doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Raymond Donnison, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Raymond Donnison

Raymond Donnison New Member

Hi, I am after some advice please. I currently work in the kitchen trade manufacturing and installing kitchens in my local area. I have my own workshop. I am hoping to also add sliding wardrobes to the services I offer and wondered if there are any sliding wardrobe fitters out there to advise. Do tradesman tend to order sliding doors from suppliers or does anyone cut the glass and make the doors themselves? The cost of the wardrobe doors bought from suppliers, even at discounted prices seems incredably high. I make all the internals myself but would only charge 1k for a 3 doors set up yet the doors come in easily at £700. Just wondering how fitters make their profit and making the doors themselves could be it.

2. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Sounds like you may be charging too low, mind you it does depend on the area.I hav'nt done one in around 5 years but always bought in from Magnet or b&q etc then it's usually a couple of days for fitting. Why bother going to all that trouble of making when you can buy ready made unless you have a lot to make.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I get mine made to measure from doors direct and fitting takes a couple of hours.

4. Raymond Donnison

Do you get any trade discount from doors direct?

5. Raymond Donnison

Id like to use "made to measure" so I have a full floor to ceiling door as well as giving my customers and wide choice of colour and style combinations which is why I haven't looked into "off the peg" options. thanks for the suggestions though

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't use them enough.

7. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Just to confirm I was referring to the type that sits on a track and the doors go up to a fitted board coming down from the ceiling and or fitting side walls, shelves and rails etc.

8. Raymond Donnison

brill, thanks for that

9. Raymond Donnison

I have found sliding wardrobes unlimited much cheaper then doors direct, it's always worth a look at least .

10. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

That's great if you can do that but for all that effort to get to the same standard and quality as manufactured I would want to be charging 3 to 4K / for a one off job and why would a customer want that when they can have it done cheaper by somone who just buys off the shelf? (unless of course they are loaded)

11. Raymond Donnison

it's a good point, I have seen a few sliding wardrobes fitted in my area for £900. I just carnt see how they managed to turn a profit with the doors themselves almost costing that and then the internals on top.

12. Raymond Donnison

that why i wondered if some make the doors themselves

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've just had a look and it depends on sizes and styles.

Raymond Donnison likes this.
  14. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

It's probably more likely that some companies fit a lot of them so are really fast. Personally when I have fitted them I found I could charge quite a decent rate, including a profit on the doors!;)

15. Raymond Donnison

I have recently come across Commonfield and have enquired about their wardrobe doors following a few comments on this forum

16. Raymond Donnison

have you made the internals yourself including strike plates and floor liners are bought these in too?. I am buying in large sheet material, cutting it down and edging myself.

17. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I have done both in the past, depending on what's easiest.