Slightly bubbled skirting after Satinwood coat

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Philipo51617, May 25, 2019.

1. Philipo51617

Philipo51617 Member

15587953787308681832426067927294.jpg Hi

Just painting skirkting boards and the finish was not what I was expecting.
    I've used Leyland water based satin, but the top coat looks slightly bubbled and not a smoothish finish I was expecting.

I used a min foam roller to apply

https://www.diy.com/departments/dia...Ce4Ua8vxPGBSqLb1xlMaAqzJEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

What have i done wrong/ is there a solution....or is it actually meant to finish like that??

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Using a roller was the problem combine with paint not fluid enough......... rub down with wet and dry to remove the dimples, spray the wood with water using a hand held mist sprayer (do not saturate just mist) and re do, do not go back and forward with the roller as the paint is drying far to quick, failing that use Purdy Monarch Synthetic paint brushes and 4" felt rolleror Crown FastFlow Satin or Johnstones Aqua Satin for a superior finish.

Philipo51617 likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Your using entry level paint.. I'd go higher quality even than the above.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wayners! :rolleyes:.............were advising DIY here not the National Trust or English Heritage. ;)

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The other issue you have is that you have used two different methods for painting the skirting, both leaving their own texture to the finished paint

Roller for the main section and brush for the profile. Doesn’t matter how good your technique is, this will leave two different paint finishes once dried

By all means, use a small roller for the main section as this is a fast way of getting the paint on but, then ‘lay off’ with a brush, whilst painting the profile of the skirting

This will remove the texture left from the roller and give an even finish to all sections

If you haven’t painted with water based paint before, they perform very differently to solvent based and take some time and practice getting used to. Also amongst the brands, their ease of use and finish varies a lot

Water based doesn’t flow as well as solvent based and can start to dry ridiculously fast. You have to work quickly and in smaller sections that will allow you to use the roller but then lay off with a brush before the paint starts to seize up. WB paint doesn’t tolerate going back and forth over it after a few minutes, like you can with solvent based

Just need to paint a section, roller or /and brush, lay off, leave alone and move on !

Also looks like your loading too much paint on brush and not spreading paint out enough as you have a build
    up of paint around the profile

Not meaning to be rude but you’ve also got crud in the paint and/or on the skirting as can see specks of dust and hairs in the paint

More cleaning / dry brush to remove dust and hairs / I like to hoover workpiece before painting as picks up crud instead of just flicking it to another areas (especially gap
    between skirt and floor) / tack cloth (never used them myself but often recommended) /

Good luck for the next session :)