Sloping Floor - How to get units level

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Tangoman, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

My kitchen floor is flat, but not level - slopes about 10mm front to back and about the same left to right. Gradient about 5mm/m

I'm assuming that the laminate floor will go down ok on top of this without levelling the floor.
    Question is there enough play in the base unit legs normally to accomodate perhaps 2cm of height difference and if not any good suggestions?

Cheers,

Tony

2. eyetry

eyetry New Member

Trying to visualise, will you have a leg at one end 20mm longer than one at the other end?

There maybe a fix but for the importance of aesthetics I would have thought you'd be better levelling the floor so the legs appear uniformed. Especially if the lines of the laminate run into it as that's what your eyes will follow.

3. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi TM,

Remember that you can always put a thick shim under the adjustable leg to make up the height so it will work. The only concern will be the kick boards that run in front of the legs to cover up the gap between the floor surface and the bottom of the cabinets. If these boards are deep enough, or you can fabricate your own, you can scribe and cut these to fit perfectly. The decision is how it will look so before you fit the cabinets I suggest doing a mock up to a leveled string line with some mock up MDF kick boards to see if it looks okay. If it looks silly then level your floor.

DWD

4. Vayres

Vayres New Member

The Screwfix legs give you 34 mm of adjustment and I beleive Ikea and MFI are similar ( but check). The plastic spring clips let you attach a facia board / plynth /kick board. and you will probably not see the slope from above

If you need more than 34 mm you could pack with real wood under legs .I would not recommend chipboard as it is likely to get wet.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=89689&id=16457

5. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Tangoman , eyetry is right level the floor first, it's not a big job and will be better, and save time in the long run.

6. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

dont know wot ur kit lay out is , but set a datum at the highest mark, then fit end units 2 all walls,then follow through with intermeadiate units 2 datum .
    then u can adjust/pack legs 2 suit and then wack down floor under units(2 legs ) and scribe the kicking plates iv ness