Sloping floor in a house we just bought..

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by firstimebuyernovice, Sep 17, 2019.

1. firstimebuyernovice

firstimebuyernovice New Member

Hi,

Wondering if I could get some advice.

Just bought my first house. No issues in home report, built in 1970s. An internal wall was removed downstairs between the kitchen dining area. Got a building regs surveyor out to look at it and they confirmed that joists were perpendicular and it wasn't load bearing. Stupidly didn't get a full survey.

Mortgage went through no problem.

We've been in 2 months and I've noticed in the hallway landing upstairs (in line with the start of the stairs) that the floorboard takes a step down. It seems to be directly over the load baring wall, running in the same direction as it. Originally I rolled a ball and the back of the house is flat and so is the front of the house so it's not really a slope. I lifted the carpet there is definitely a difference in height. It's made obvious on the skirting board as there is more space between the skirting and floorboards after the height difference (at the back of the house). Not measured it yet but can do tonight.

There are no big cracks or anything but an internal door on the first floor at the back of the house sticks. Also some creaky floorboards at the front of the house.

I am now of course freaking out thinking this may be subsidence or structural movement from removing the stud wall. I suffer from anxiety and it's making me ill.

I originally thought I could just get a joiner to come and lift floorboards to check the joists and then do any work to level the floor.... but now thinking I should maybe get a structural engineer?

1. Worried that there is current movement and will take £ to correct/affect the future value. 2. Worried that there was historic movement, settling and by highlighting this I will need to declare it to home insurance/future buyers. 3. Worried if I just get a joiner that there is something more seriously wrong.

Could it be non structural/subsidence related? What do you think?

2. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Doubt it is subsidence. Just get a builder in to look at it for you. Someone that has been recommended.

Some pics would be good for us to look at.

Dont worry!

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  3. firstimebuyernovice

firstimebuyernovice New Member

Thank you! I will definitely take photos tonight when I'm home.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If you can take some photos that would help. Try and get a decent builder in to take a look and see what the cause of the uneveness is.

5. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Firstly nothing is straight on an old house, nor to that matter on many new houses.

If there are no cracks on the walls or the ceiling underneath then it is unlikely to be active settlement. If the skirting is as old as the rest of the house and covered with layers of gloss paint then it is likely that step has been there since new. Similarly for any coving below this area.

If my hunch is the case then it would seem there was a difference in height when the stair and/or stair trimmer was installed and the builder shrugged thinking it'll be lost under the carpet.

As for the sticking door, what counts is if there are also cracks and the door can't be closed at all. Most important of all is if there is some change and the defects progress over time.