Sloping floor

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Danielle93, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Hi,

Installing a new kitchen, not 100% by myself but figured I could fit base units not problem.
    Until I hit a problem..
    Found the highest point on the floor and started installing the kitchen along the back wall (U shaped kitchen) only problem is now I have got to the end I have a 18cm gap from floor to bottom of base cabinet, while at the other end it is 16cm (to account for plinth and flooring). I've triple checked the units are level on top so I'm assuming the floor slopes. How do I correct for this? Can I get plinths taller than 15cm and even this out? Maybe thicker flooring underlay? It's a 2cm difference at one end which is pretty significant. Would rather not have to start again!

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

You can get deeper plinths and, depending on where the high point is and whether you have any appliances in the taller gaps, you might not notice that the 150mm plinth has a gap above it anyway - you can't see it from most viewing angles.

If you're rolling around on the kitchen floor and see the gap it shouldn't matter anyway - things are either going well or badly and a gap between the plinth and the underside of your base unit should be the last thing on your mind.....

3. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Haha thanks! I'm being extra neurotic as I have a lot to prove doing bits myself! Less; measure twice cut once but measure 100 times! A lot of rolling around on the floor at the moment!

Only freestanding appliance is my washing machine, A gap above that will just be extra storage! ;)

kitfit1 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

A floor running out of level is par the course when you a fitting a kitchen, 2cm may seem a lot but take it from me, i've seen a lot worse :)
    As you already realize, the most important thing is to get the base cabs dead flat and dead level...............worry about the floor and plinth latter.

Danielle93 likes this.
  5. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Don't worry about 20mm ... mine is near 50mm and yes, if you stand and look you can see the difference but in reality it is not noticeable. As said, get tall plinths and when they are cut, you will have a small gap at the top, anywhere from 1mm to maybe 10mm.

Danielle93 likes this.
  6. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Thanks! It's annoying when you think you've nailed it, my cabinets are perfectly level, then suddenly they're an extra 2cm from the floor! Will worry about getting the rest fitted then look at my flooring/plinth options. Thank you for putting my mind at rest!

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a vertical, horizontal, straight, flat, parallel or perpendicular in a house!

8. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Last kitchen I did, floor ran out 25mm.

You may have problems with end panels not being tall enough though.
    Is there flooring to go down, and if so, what is it?
    For future ref, always start fit from the low spot :)

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Flooring is just laminate, 8mm thick. My end panels are 90cm high and they will be sitting on top of the flooring, so they should JUST be tall enough.

10. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Offer your end panels up and measure gap. Also take into account insulation thickness for laminate.

Did you take into account your flooring from the start?

11. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Yep, 150mm for plinth, 8mm for flooring and 2-3mm underlay, so I initially started with a 160mm gap which ended up as a 180mm gap, Thinking of I try and get a taller plinth combined with a slightly thicker underlay it will even out and I'll only have to get someone to skim the end of the plinth at the shorter end.

12. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Yep, use the slab type underlay rather than the thin stuff on a roll...may save the day. Good luck :)

13. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

The new laminate flooring installed by my own fair hands! Blood, sweat and tears went into this!

Attached Files:

14. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Congrats ... it looks great ... ready to start living in!

Danielle93 likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Looks good.:)

Danielle93 likes this.
  16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Really good Danielle. Looks very nice. Maybe you will be rolling around on that after all.......

Danielle93 likes this.
  17. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

:eek::D

18. kitfit1

Looking good :)

Danielle93 likes this.
  19. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

Is that really Laminate Flooring?

[​IMG]

20. kitfit1

What makes you think it might not be ? Seen Laminate flooring like that 100's of times o_O