Slow draining shower - out of ideas!!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Plumber001, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Ayrton5

Ayrton5 New Member

I have slow draining, particularly when soapy, that is cured by lifting the chrome lid with my toe. Will I get a fix for this by drilling holes?

I don't see how that would work on this trap.

Is there any chance that I can get a new top section, so I don't have to go under the floor again? If I found something with the same diameter and thread?

Attached Files:

Daniel Wynn likes this.
  2. Andy101

Andy101 New Member

I think all the showers basically work in the same way, you have the chrome top attached to a vertical pipe, and that then fits into another cup, so the water flows in a u-bend (down the inside of the vertical pipe, then outside it but inside the cup, then out - its all called a hair trap) so the flange of the pipe can trap air especially with soapy water as its finally trying to get out. If your chrome top isn't screwed on and can be moved with your toe its likely its the problem and its what's causing an air trap on its own, has the chrome bit already got any holes in the top?

The more common design (and the one i've got), the chrome bit and the vertical pipe are screwed together, so the issue is the flange of the vertical pipe is the 'ceiling' against which the air gets trapped as its trying to get out.

I think the guys above who figured this out are right, its the air trap (in which ever part of the mechanism that's relevant to your model) that's causing all these problems, the soapy water traps air bubbles and as the bubbles collapse when the water sloshes around the air is released but can't easily find its way out.

I'm surprised the manufacturers haven't come up with a solution tbh

3. David Greenfield

David Greenfield New Member

Hopefully someone can pick up on this oldish thread and help me out. I have the same problem and can understand the solution but am concerned that by drilling holes in the flange at the top of the pipe that this is creating air channels for smells to bypass the water in the cup. What am I missing?

4. SteveCad

SteveCad New Member

No all is good doing it. I did mine a few months ago you only need 4- 1,5 mm holes in the top of the flange.

5. Coops666

Coops666 Member

You sure its not a flow rate issue? Whats the litres per second out of the shower head, can the 40mm waste pipe cope? Is it a simple case of installing some filters in the shower head to reduce the flow, more so if the showers pump fed.

6. SteveCad

SteveCad New Member

It’s the waste that can’t cope it gets air locked with the suds

7. David Greenfield

As Stevecad said, if you remove the chrome cover, pipe with flange and cup, the water flows away okay so it is definitely an air lock issue invloving those components

8. David Greenfield

Is there any issue with where on the flange to put the holes - nearer the centre or the outer edge? I still don't see why drilling holes doesn't then allow the drain smell to come through those holes when the shower is not in use given the flange has a washer around it to 'air tight' fit to the shower tray hole and the pipe sits in the water to stop smells coming up that way.

9. SteveCad

SteveCad New Member

Straight in the centre. When you shower you can see the air bubbling off through the suds. I’ve got no smell with doing this. If you do get a smell which you won’t silicon the holes back up.

10. David Greenfield

Great - I've ordered a 1.5mm drill bit off ebay and will report back - in a few days

11. David Greenfield

This hasn't worked - are the 4 holes in the right place (see picture)? The water drains fine without the insert pipe in place (just leaving the internal cup) but fills up and overspills the tray with it inserted. Any further ideas please?

Attached Files:

12. SteveCad

SteveCad New Member

That looks different to mine. Lift it all out and send a pic of the assembly

13. David Greenfield

I've just moved in so I'm wondering if the previous owners have replaced 1 or more bits previously? The cup has four lugs but they don't fit in the groves in the drain hole in the tray - I have to rotate it so the collar is sitting on the lugs to be able to fit the tube part in the hole so that it seals to the drain sides.

Attached Files:

14. SteveCad

SteveCad New Member

My slots in the cup go a good halfway down the cup. I would take a Stanley knife an cut the slots to half way down.

15. David Greenfield

And do you think taking a bit of the bottom of the pipe might help as well? - they seem similar depth when side by side.

16. SteveCad

SteveCad New Member

Did you see the air bubbling off when the suds were covering the trap? I would cut the slots deeper first. Cut them halfway and try it.

17. David Greenfield

no didnt see any air bubbling off - i'll try cutting the slots first

18. David Greenfield

Okay - I cut out 2 sections of the cup half way down and it seems to have solved the problem. I think it needed a combination of this and the holes being drilled as the tray did fill up more quickly when suds were present - but cant be sure. Happy though that the issue is resolved without more costly intervention. Thanks SteveCad for the suggestion!

19. Jonathan Block

Jonathan Block New Member

Hi Dean,

I have an idea what you mean. Could you also forward me image when you find some spare seconds please. How many mm are the diameter of the holes. I guess it's finding a balance between adequate air release and preventing the fumes from rising?

20. rajbob

rajbob New Member

hi David - just seen this item and I have same issue as you did and I have exact same trap as you have by looking at pictures. Could you post a picture of the cuts you made to the slots in the cup please? I can see the 4 holes you drilled in the other piece as well. Appreicate your help.