Slow Draining Toilet

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by screwfox, Jan 23, 2009.

1. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Recently my toilet seems to be draining slower than it used to. The initial flush seems ok, then the last say inch of water takes about 5 seconds to get down to the "normal" level. Any advice?

Other facts:
    1) The toilet is upstairs and has a horizontal run of a couple of feet before going into a bend, and then vertical (down obviously!). It has no vent (another toilet in the house has a vent pipe).
    2) A bath, basin and shower join the waste just below the bend (in a manifold) and these seem to be draining ok
    3) I pulled the toilet out and rodded to the bend, with no problem (the horizontal pipe didn't contain any standing water

Thanks in advance

2. ballcockandfloat

ballcockandfloat New Member

My bet is there is a partial blockage near the pan.Has one of those blue disinfect blocks with the plastic holder dropped down the loo ?

3. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

So you say you've pulled out the pan and checked the 'horizontal' :O, in my experience if a hang on freshener gets flushed then it normally gets stuck in the U bend. In this situation the toilet wont accept a dump. ;)

4. plummit

plummit New Member

Partial blockages, Well in my opinion, tend to suck out the trap, Pending no air admitance.
    Could it be that you have a syphonic pan, that is not functioning ?

5. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Ta so far.

Not syphonic

No blue blocks or rim hung cleaners used.

Clear from pan to bend to vertical soil pipe.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Blocked soil pipe...somewhere.

7. soldering-on

soldering-on New Member

Check inspection chamber out side.

8. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Chances are you'll notice a problem with the toilet before the sink. There is a much higher flow rate with the toilet and a partial blockage could restrict this whereas it may not be an issue for a 1.25 inch sink waste.

9. ballcockandfloat

ballcockandfloat New Member

Just a thought is there a durgo valve/air release valve fitted on the S.V.P. The flap inside may have frozen.

10. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Cheers lads, soldering on was spot on, lifted the manhole cover and it was full of the nasty stuff. Gave it a good rodding and whoosh!

All flushing well now.

Thanks again

11. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

I'm sure Soldering-on's invoice will be with you shortly.

12. plummit

plummit New Member

Cheers lads, soldering on was spot on, lifted the manhole cover and it was full of the nasty stuff. Gave it a good rodding and whoosh!

All flushing well now.

Thanks again

I am not sure if it just me, but I get a warm feeling when you clear the blockage, and the chamber runs free !. Removing the rods, and cleaning them are another story. Maybe I need to get out more, and enjoy life another way !!.