Small door mortice latch for door?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Matt_H, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Hi All,

Our bedroom doors only have a small space into which I could put a tubular mortice latch - up to 50mm at the most (40mm would be better).

I haven't seen any latches this small - the smallest that screwfix have are 60mm which are too big.

The doors currently have ball latches - which are really noisy and wake the rest of the house when the doors are opened at night time.

Will I have to get new doors or does anyone know where I can get small tubular mortice latches to fit the door?

Some photos are attached below:

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

The smallest available is usually 64mm with a 45mm backset.

Matt_H likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

A website I learned of on here by some knowledgeable people about an hour ago stocks narrow mortice locks, but I couldn't see latches at first glance. Try www.locksonline.co.uk

Matt_H likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

And if you don't know then I'm sure I won't, cheers for the link :D

Matt_H and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

AlvyChippy and Matt_H like this.
  6. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

The best solution I have found for awkward mortice latch situations either where the depth is restricted or there is a need on ensuites etc for a totally silent latch is to use Precision PLS 24 Pro magnetic latches. I think they are imported from New Zealand and cost about £12. They are absolutely awesome and very very effective and the magnetic strength is adjustable. Very quick to fit too. You only need about 20mm of depth in the door to fit it.

Attached Files:

Matt_H and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

8. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Great thanks everyone I'll have a look