Small kink in central heating copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Scotty24, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Scotty24

Scotty24 New Member

Hi all,

Newbie here.
    Just bought and renovating our house, on lifting and repairing numerous floorboards (as well as access for electrician) we noticed a small kink in the copper pipe for the central heating system (please see attached photo).
    The kinked pipe is not creased and therefore unlikely to encourage a critical stress point, it has also been like this for at least a decade (think that's maybe when central heating was installed).

Was thinking maybe should just get section replaced while have the floor boards up.

The pipe running perpendicular is redundant and shall be getting removed.

Any advice or tips?
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would replace the damaged section,easy job while you have access.

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I would get a short repair section installed.

However, I would be more concerned with the joists ... a really rough deep notch cut in the top immediuately above a large hole through the centre and looking at the cables the next joist is going to be similar.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  4. Agree with mike and kiab, replace the kinked section and keep an eye on the cables when soldering.

5. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I would be more concerned as to how it got kinked in the first place.
    I am wondering if the pipe that runs above it is being forced down on top of it when the floorboards are back down?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would that not make a kink in the other pipe as well?

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It always disappoints me to see debris and rubbish left under floorboards by other tradesmen. Shoddy in my opinion.

mcooper2406, Heat, KIAB and 2 others like this.
  8. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

I wouldn’t call that a small kink, that’s either been put in like that or it’s had a good amount of pressure to squash it.
    Replace it, and while your there, get rid of as much of the rubbish, sitting on top of your ceiling.
    Really bugs me, when trades leave their rubbish and then try and hide it.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another one who hates to see it.:mad:

10. FlyByNight

Cannot agree more - the amount of rubbish I removed from under floors in my own house was unbelievable. It takes minutes when there is access but a lot more when baords are fully down. Even if I drill a 10mm hole through a joist, vacuum up the sawdust - it helps to make it cleaner when someone next does something.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If heating has been working for at least a decade, then this job can wait until perhaps you’re having some further work done

Damaged section can be cut out and new copper soldered in, hopefully if some movement in pipe makes it easier

Either pipes need freezing or heating system needs draining so maybe your planning some other work to the system that would require this ?

Easier and more cost effective to lump these kind of jobs together I would think - especially as that kink isn’t exactly an emergency

Heat likes this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

In the second picture the pipe that runs parallel has some green verdigris on the pipe that normally occurs when there is water on the copper. I would lift the floorboard and check

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Follow your instinct and do it now whilst
    a) the boards are up and access is good
    b) the other pipe is being removed anyway
    c) the heating is off

Or....
    Wait till the carpets are in, it's the middle of the coldest winter we've had in living memory, you've given up trying to sleep from wondering if you should have done it earlier and you can't buy a heating engineer for all the tea in China because they're flat out...

You know it makes sense.

14. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Never take on a 10 minute job unless you have a spare couple of hours ;)

Heat, blarblarblarblar and KIAB like this.
  15. FlyByNight

And if you do allow a couple of hours, it will only take 10 minutes!

Scotty - will you be draining the system? If so, check to see if you have a magnetic filter installed and if not, consider installing one at that time. A twenty minute job - so to do both, allow three hours and you will have time for a beer afterwards.

16. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

either that or its a join just hidden and the plumber has left flux all over it. Defo worth a check though.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And if no magnetic filter,then fit a Magnaclean Pro 2,among the best & easiest to fit.