Smart meter - "Your electric meter has reached the end of its life"

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Muzungu, May 5, 2023.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just had an email from Eon telling me that my meter has reached the end of its life and "there's a legal obligation to exchange your meter with a new one", i.e. a smart meter.

This is a day after I had a phone call from someone from Eon asking me to make an appointment to have a smart meter fitted, he didn't mention anything about it being at the "end of its life".

If I have to I will, just curious as to the above. Meter's been in since the house was built 30 years ago.

Any comments welcome.

2. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

More lies to get you to have a smart meter fitted. Tell them if they insist on a smart meter that you want your own meter fitted.

CGN and WH55 like this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Having looked into this more it does actually appear that when the meter ends its certified life the relevant company are obliged to change it. It's not a hill I am prepared to die for.

4. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

It’s a marketing gimmick by the energy companies. That said, OFGEM have said that they’ll fine the energy companies if they don’t get Smart meter roll out done, so I understand to some degree why they’re pushing it.

I don’t have a Smart meter yet, but only because I want to replace my own CU and haven’t got round to it yet (and I want to arrange it all how I want it done). However, I’ve got no issue with Smart meters and will happily get it once I’m ready / whenever I can be bothered doing my own CU :eek:

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

What is the certification date on the meter?

Or if that is not visible, what is the actual meter? - there is a list of certification lifespans. It may be out in your favour, or that of the energy company, or running just fine.

Ovo have tried it with me - but there is still several yearsleft. The also are unable to supply an Economy 10 Smart Meter- so I am staying as is.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

There’s zero downside. Why would you not want access to a wider range of tariffs?

Denis6482 and WH55 like this.
  7. MikeByfield

MikeByfield Active Member

The downside is they can turn you off remotely if there’s an energy crunch and they feel like it.

arrow and CGN like this.
  8. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

Spent 10 years working with a DNO. We didn’t need a smart meter to turn any particular residence or building off supply if we wanted to. It was very easy.

Jimbo likes this.
  9. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

They say they will not use the disconnection feature of the meter, so why fit it?

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

remote isolation with out a meter visit??

11. MikeByfield

Because they’re lying. They’ll definitely use it f it comes to it.

arrow likes this.
  12. MikeByfield

I’m sure. But you couldn’t do it with the clock of a mouse to 5 million homes though could you, and they can with a smart meter.

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

The rolling black out plans were well publicised last year and were nothing to do with smart meters.

However, those with smart meters that were prepared to “muck in” by altering their own usage patterns were paid well to do so.

My own average import rate this calendar year has been 27p, compared to a cap rate of 33. Both horrendous numbers. But that 20% discount wouldn’t be possible without the smart meter.

14. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

My son moved into a flat and stuck with the existing company, his bill was high so he thought he had better start taking some readings. When he eventually found the meter the display was blank and couldn’t be wakened. Contacts DNO, they say they are busy and can’t change it for months, so they will continue estimating the bill.

Don’t get a smart meter.

arrow likes this.
  15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If switching off were needed it would be at wide-area distribution level with loads of notice. There is zero chance of individual property unannounced disconnection. There are too many people on medical devices, and the suppliers would be in deep poo if they started doing this.

chillimonster and WH55 like this.
  16. H Bell

H Bell Active Member

The only real problem with Smart meters is they lie and tell us that it's for our benefit. If they actually told the truth, then no one would care.

MGW, stevie22 and arrow like this.
  17. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

They also say they are for free, which is another lie. I think it is approx 7 to 9 hundred pounds that is covertly added into bills to pay for them.

H Bell likes this.
  18. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

They could. In fact, there are all sorts of plans to stop terrorists targeting the grid and cutting off supply at a transmission level. The problem with it would actually be what you did with the power being generated and supplied to the grid. The balancing mechanism works well for short term fluctuations but you’d need to start instructing generators to switch off pretty quickly (and paying them for the privilege, which is what happens when there’s a mismatch).

19. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

Tell your son to contact his supplier not the DNO. DNOs have no involvement with the meter as they are supplied, owned and fitted by your individual electricity supplier.

20. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

Fair point, and probably the best argument against Smart meters. Their lifespan is also no longer than an old, analogue meter.