Smart Meters

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Odd Bodkin, Dec 5, 2018.

1. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As you have obviously trawled the net to find those few links, you would obviously noticed that ALL of those devices can be turned OFF so that that they don't REPORT HOME ? or did you just do do a normal trawl for all the usual suspects ?

Sometimes peeps stupidity beggers belief when they report FICTION as fact, when in fact they themselves don't know one from the other.

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

What stupid reply.

If you turn them off they then just become ornaments and totally useless.
    Its while they are in use they are spying on you and having some form of control over your life all be it at a later date when the supplier decides what to do with the data collected.

Now back to smart meters, have you come up with a single use for them that has any benefit to the consumer over and above the supplier. ???

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What you mean apart from being a quick reference point for a customer as to how much electric they have used that day, that week, that month. Or what their current KWH charge is, or their standing charge. Or how close to their budgeted electric use they are. Or how much in real time using the tumble drier is costing them.

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

You use the electricity you need to use to get the task completed, smart meters will only assist the paranoid when they shout upstairs to their family "Switch that bl88dy light off". The perfect device to ensure family harmony at any time of the year.

Allsorts likes this.
  5. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

How an a meter "save" energy? It cannot, and never will. The CAN save consumers money, simply by bringing to immediate attention the real time cost of running appliances. the labour savings element SHOULD be translated to savings for consumers, but the cost of the roll out is huge.

So, although I appreciate the concern of some folks, your post is, frankly, nonsense.

Apologies if I have repeated any other posts - I will not be reading 3 pages of well trodden ground. I'm saving my energy for something useful:)

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Agreed ... a meter cannot save energy, but 'smarts' installed in each home certainly could ... and the easiest place to install those 'smarts' is in the meter.

Electricity supply in the UK has very little in the way of energy storage capacity, i.e. a means by which energy is stored during off peak demand times to be used later during peak demand times. Yes, there are the odd pumped storage scheme up in the mountainous North, but there are not enough of them to take up the slack for the whole grid; so the energy generators have to over-generate to keep everyone happy all the time. (Some countries resort to load shedding, cutting supply periodically to whole areas for an hour or more at a time, usually just when it's needed most!)

In the absence of energy storage, the UK electricity generators 'adjust' generation using predictive consumption models, and these have been proven to be quite flawed, so they still have to over-generate, but not as much. (Yes, new types of artificial intelligence are helping, but they're still not good enough to reduce overcapacity generation as much as is needed or possible.)

Installing 'smarts' into each home would enable the electricity suppliers to 'manage' our energy hungry devices, e.g. by disabling the energy hogs like clothes driers during peak demand hours, giving preference to other energy hogs like hobs and kettles as people prepare their meals at meal times. 'Smart' systems like this allow the energy suppliers to control consumption by non-essential devices during peak demand times.

Previously the suppliers tried to smooth out demand through lower off-peak electricity unit rates, so consumers could do their own energy 'storage' using cheaper electricity to run night storage heaters, night time immersion heaters, etc. (The French still have the options of using cheap electricity to run things like their washing machines and dishwashers between 11pm and 7am using half price electricity.)

In conclusion ... 'smarts' certainly can save energy, in that they enable the energy suppliers to reduce the amount of surplus energy they generate ... energy that would otherwise just go to waste.

7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That's smart.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There really are some staggeringly paranoid people around.

The concept that there is some kind of big conspiracy to control peoples lives using a smart meter is just laughable.

It sits in the corner and tells you how much electric you are using.

It helps people budget.

It helps people to realise where they are wasting energy.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Too true.

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

It's laughable that these devices are controlling us; I can say whatever I want about about stinking EDF and the way they...bbbbbbzzzzzzzzzchchrrrppp! - they are the best energy company in the wurld.

Jord86 and goldenboy like this.
  11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There is a point in this.

If as our tinfoil hatted friends insist there is this global conspiracy to control peoples lives how come the dissent is still allowed.

Surely the chuckling baddies would just shut it all down.

Or presumably not having a smart meter is the key to avoiding it all?

Presumably the tinfoils also have no mobile phones, Bluetooth devices, tablets, laptops etc?

They must contribute on here using their abacuses and typewriters?

12. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

You really have no idea as to the power big corporation's have over us.

And you dont think they do shut people down, clearly haven't tried posting something that doesnt tow the lefty line on Facebook or Youtube then.

Patreon have even shut people accounts down stopping them earning money for their posts because they are not left enough.

Smart whatever is the beginnings of the end for everyday working folk as far as total freedom goes.

13. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

Goldenboy is the staunchest advocate of smart meters i've heard and, if you have a large enough house with many appliances to keep track of, they do make a difference in how you use energy. But for a small house or a flat i can't see any reason why they would be better than a regular meter.
    I'm old enough to remember the (simpler) times when a cheerful chap would come round and do the job but I don't find it too hard to read a meter and send the info online. It doesn't make any difference to my energy use: the washing machine runs for as long as necessary to get our clothes clean; the fridge runs at the recommended setting to keep stuff fresh; likewise the heating is turned up as high as necessary to avoid Jack Frost's bony fingers at this time of year.
    If i could see a definitive reason to install them then i'd consider it but my current set-up works fine as it is.

Allsorts likes this.
  14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am no advocate of smart meters.

I just think that many of those that criticise are doing so just to parrot an "on trend" paranoid view.

For me they are just a useful little device that can help many people to keep track of their energy usage and costs.

It also does provide a quick and easy way of seeing what your prices are too.

If you are on top of your bills and aware of usage then that's great. These little gadgets can help others get into the same situation.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Righty ho.

I didn't realise my smart meter was anything to do with Facebook or YouTube.

And what exactly is Patreon?

Do you not think you might be overegging the pudding a little with regard to smart meters?

16. Another reason not to get a Smart meter,you are doing someone out of a job.Insist they send someone round to read the meter,they are making massive profits through standing charges alone never mind the rest.

They will not pass on any savings to the public from less labour costs.Remember that you are also getting charged for the smart meter,they are telling lies that it is free,the cost is all added in and hidden.

17. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I'll start by saying I hated the thought of smart meters but after having one fitted to change onto an e10 Tariff. (The house did have an old single rate smart meter before - without the associated computer screen).

We have an all electric thermal store setup here as there is no gas in the village. Along with underfloor heating throughout and a couple of rads we were using roughly 55kwh a day to supply ch and hw.

The smart meter has allowed me to play around with each zone stat times, thermal store on times + temp and off periods each day to get something that works well but saves on energy. The fact I can see the cost in real time as 15kw of immersions click on is a real eye opener. The smart meter is making it easier to save me money by giving me a real visual reading on each change.

In the next few months the solar thermal panels will be connected up to the store and will help with the cost. Phew.

18. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Look, pal - can you just @&$%off with your namby pamby facts.

Not interested.

Thank yooooo.

Dam0n likes this.
  19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Psssst - please let us know what difference the panels make. Cheers.

Dam0n likes this.
  20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Similar situation for me.

Village has no gas so running heating on LPG.

That's a costly way to heat a home.

Thus its important to keep other energy costs as low as possible.

I find the smart meter useful to have an instant view of the costs.

Yet to encounter the sinister side of the smart meter.

I very very much doubt whether any of the tinfoil brigade have either.

They are just parroting the latest fashionable paranoid obsession

Dam0n likes this.