Smart Switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lambs, Sep 17, 2021.

1. lambs

lambs New Member

Hi everyone, I have tried searching for this and cant find an answer.

I have a 2 gang 1 way light switch. The first switch controls 2 indoor garage lights, second switch controls 3 up/down outdoor wall lights.

The garage has been fully rewired so inside there are
    5 earth cables with a wago push in connector,
    5 neutral cables with a wago push in connector.
    Then on the light switch there was a cable going into 1 on the first switch and 1 on the second switch
    Then 2 live cables going into the first COM switch a live cable going into second COM switch and then a small brown cable bridging the 2 COMs together.
    33.PNG
    22.PNG

I have bought a 2 gang WIFI smart switch, which has L2, L1, L and N connections.
    I was going to put the 1 in first light switch into L1, the 1 on second switch into L2
    I was going to put all three live COM wires into L
    With the Neutral wires do al l 5 of them need to go into the smart switch? I can fit 4 tightly but not sure if all are really needed.
    3.PNG

Any ideas or help welcome

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Use Wagos to link the neutrals and a single to the N of your smart switch. Same with the lines that were in the COMs. Use the link cable to link to the L on the smart switch from the Wagos. You may need a deeper back box.

3. lambs

lambs New Member

Thanks for the quick response!
    What type of wagos can I use? Is there a link to an image at all? Want to make sure I use the right one!

4. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

3 way 221 would be best for the lines then you can undo the connection if you make a mistake. Search “Wago 221” with our hosts, or your search engine of choice.

I would try and separate the neutrals and use 2x 3 way 221s. Otherwise a 6 way 773 push fit. Unlikely you’ll need to undo it as you’re just putting all the neutrals in one place and adding a short link wire.

lambs likes this.
  5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

The neutrals need to be commoned into a single connection, although a Wago Type connector would be neat, tidy and my preference in reality you don’t want to have to buy a box full to get one of them, so a single connector cut off the end of a choc connector strip is more viable.

15 amp to accommodate the multiple conductors and I’m going to have to say Toolstation or a DIY store as they sell the strips individually rather than in a pack of ten like Screwfix. You will still end up with eleven spares, but only pay pennies.

https://www.toolstation.com/connector-strip/p85099

lambs and ElecCEng like this.
  6. lambs

lambs New Member

Thank you both for your responses.

I think I will go for the wagos as they will be neat and tidy, plus I do have 2 separate 2 way switches to do this on so will get a few. If I get the 3 way ones and use 2 for the neutral wires does that mean I will be short one space as there are 5 neutral wires and I would have to link all 5 together, then run a single wire to the switch? Same with the 3 LIVE COM wires, would a 5 way be better here?

7. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Sorry yes, you’ll need a 5 way for the lives. For the neutrals you’ll need a 5 and a 3: 5x neutrals, 2x link wire between wagos, 1 for the link wire between Wago and switch. Hence my suggestion for a 6 way push fit, but as @The Happy Builder suggests, may be cheaper to use choc bloc. But if all your switches are wired in a similar manner and you’re fitting more smart switches then go Wago.

lambs likes this.
  8. The Happy Builder

You are looking at paying £14.29 for a box of fifty Wago connectors when you only want one.

You could link a couple of four port Wago’s together to make a six port if you have them.

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

10. lambs

lambs New Member

Thanks everyone, I went to screwfix and bought 25 - 5 way wago connectors and seems to be working well, although the inside lights were ever so slightly flickering faintly, but seems to have stopped, maybe its to do with the smart switch!

ElecCEng likes this.
  11. The Happy Builder

Should have asked earlier, is the back box earthed?

12. lambs

lambs New Member

I hope so! Is this standard practice, as I got it all rewired this year, there are 5 earth cables in a wago push connecter, and I can see there is a screw top left of the metal back box which is what I assume is the earth terminal?

13. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Yes it is. Should be a wire between that screw terminal and your Wago.

lambs likes this.
  14. lambs

lambs New Member

Which wago? The one with the 5 earths? If so then I don’t think it’s earthed!? I may have to change the back box anyway as I the light switch is very tight! It’s funny as they flicker slightly when first turned on but not the outdoor lights. Just the internal ones

15. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Yep, there should be a link wire between the earth Wago and the terminal in the back box. Neutral at the switch is great for smart switches but as you can see, with two gang, two way it can get crowded.

I’d use either the 6 way push fit Wago 773s or connector block as suggested by @The Happy Builder .

lambs likes this.
  16. lambs

lambs New Member

thanks will take a look