Smell from newly fitted washing machine

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by circuitbender, Sep 28, 2021.

1. circuitbender

circuitbender Member

Hi friends
    I’ve replaced an old machine with brand new one, never had a foul smell in utility with old machine, with new one, simply fed the waste from machine into top of the waste poly ( which has a simple U trap at bottom, - now I get a foul smell ONLY when machine is running ( guessing when it’s draining ) recently checked the waste pipe and trap ( no issues there) it simply feels into the foul stack outside
    Any thought please
    Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Use calgon. Our stinking machine has got really clean and no humming smell now. Takes a few washes but really works

3. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Washing machines live longer with Calgon :D

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I had exactly your problem with a brand new washing machine a few years back. The company sent around their technicians who changed a few bits and pieces, and nothing changed.
    It was only after a lot of research that I learned that I had pushed the waste pipe too far into the washing machine waste receiver u pipe and it was siphoning the smelly drain water out of the u pipe back into the washing machine, leaving the u pipe empty and allowing sewerage smells into the utility room.
    Check that you haven't pushed your pipe too deep into the water part of the u pipe.

stevie22 and pppmacca43 like this.