smells a bit like poo

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ryles, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Ryles

Ryles New Member

Hi chaps,
    so I have a leaky toilet pan.

I'm lucky enough never to have had to do this before, so I was just going to order this
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-wc-f18r-flexible-wc-pan-connector-white-110mm/6458p
    and swap it out.

My question is, is it possible to do this without moving the toilet, do you reckon I can just hacksaw through the current pan connector and pull it out from both sides?

See pic attached, the setup looks a little odd - seems to be three separate pipes so looking for some advice.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'm DIY, but yes, I would do exactly what you are suggesting. You should be able to slice that arrangement up and cut it out and then slip the extending connector in and extend it to secure into the pipe and on to the toilet outlet. Go for it. Not the nicest job in the world but they are never as s*****y inside as you expect them to be!

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If you have a pressure washer, use it down the toilet before you start, that will destroy any Klingons trapped in the pan adaptor recesses. Avoid the convoluted flexi adaptors, they do not have good flow characteristics and tend to harbour bits of the stuff you did not want.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I think you will struggle they can be a fiddle to insert and you may have trouble pushing the fitting further in than required in order to pull it back.
    Take the pan out then you can get the pipe cleaned up and the job will be much easier!

KIAB likes this.
  5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

No you won't. It doesn't need pushing in further to pull it back - it's an expanding fitting - it grows when you pull on it:eek::p! Just push the end in the soil as far as is needed and then pull the other end to expand the corrugated section onto the bowl. 10 minutes of a job. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Not a fan of flexi pan connectors myself unless no alternative, it looks a bit tight to me but worth a try:)

7. Ryles

Ryles New Member

thanks for the replies, in the end I had to move the toilet back anyway because I couldn't get my hacksaw into a decent position to cut through the pipe but the flexi connector went on easily so all fixed now :)