Smelly walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kirby Castle, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Kirby Castle

    Kirby Castle New Member

    I have a typical Victorian semi where the rear of the properties narrow with the kitchen on the ground floor and a bedroom above it. The party wall is 9" on the ground floor and single brick from the top of the wall plate for the 1st floor joists which run sideways and serve both properties.

    Because of lack of/crumbling mortar in the joints on the bricks between the joists and the fact that the joists have shrunk a little over time, there are small "air gaps" in the wall between the two properties at joist level. The result is that we get food and cigarette smoke smells from next door penertrating through to the kitchen and bedroom.

    So, the question is, what is best way to seal this? My only idea at the moment is expanding foam.

  2. wood butcher

    wood butcher New Member

    go with expanding foam and for the smaller gaps use silicon sealer.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice