Smoke alarms

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca2, Dec 29, 2009.

1. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Hi all,
    I have just finished a job on a house that's had quite a large extension added. My work was to install all the circuit's for the extension and install a new c/unit that supplies the whole house. The owner/builder was insistent that he didn't want any mains smoke detectors fitted but I am now wondering if it was my responsibility to make sure that smoke detectors were installed as i'm certifying and notifying the electrical installation?
    There was no mention of smoke alarms in the plans which would have been passed by building control. This concern occured to me as I was completing the cert!

2. I know Best

I know Best New Member

no worries, just let the place burn down.

3. lamps

lamps New Member

just issue cert and state you advised customer simples

4. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

I think you have a problem! Under building regs, new extensions have to have Smokeys! I realise customer has refused, put it on cert and hope!

14th

5. steve CF

steve CF New Member

are you sure about that ?

6. essex sparks

essex sparks New Member

I thought they were only required on new builds and loft conversions!!!

7. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

Yes. See Leccy Guide to Building Regs page 119.

If I were you, I'd put a note on your EIC that no smokes were fitted under instruction of the client. Don't say anything when you hand it over, just wait to see if the sparks fly at final sign off.

8. steve CF

steve CF New Member

if no smoke alarms are shown on the plans then its down to the architect surly.

9. lamps

lamps New Member

the pun lol

10. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

Down to the designer for sure. But always have a book handy for ones own trousers!

11. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Thanks to everyone that replied to this one.
    I did put a note of recommendation on the EIC to have mains interlinked smoke alarms installed,

regards and a happy new year to all.