Smoke detectors

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MICC, Dec 12, 2003.

1. MICC

MICC Member

Has anyone used the mains (linked) smoke detectors from screwfix, they are priced very well but may be a pig to connect. I have a small contract to fit some to flats and houses and will need them to be good and easy to install.
    I have prices from a company called Aico ltd which are lot dearer than screwfix but look the dogs...

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

3. MICC

MICC Member

Well thats what I am thinking, you pay peanuts and you get monkeys.
    So was hoping someone who knows what they are talking about had used this product and could tell me if it was ok.

4. chtechie

chtechie Member

They're just a standard 3 wire (inter)connection L, N & link. I've installed around 20 and had no problems. and they've got a 5 year warranty so I doubt they're rubbish. That said you know the old adage 'You get what you pay for'. So perhaps your decision should be on a purely commercial basis.

5. MICC

MICC Member

I have about 50 to install so want something that has few problems.
    Do they have back plates or are they connected straight to the smoke detectors?
    I take it they are 9volt battery.

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i use firex...dont know what the screwfix ones are like but firex are pis easy and quick to instal, probrably 3mins per smoke...

BR

7. MICC

MICC Member

Any details on firex and where I could get them ss?

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

ive looked for their webby, but they dident have one, ask at your wholesalers, they will either have a few or be able to get some... they are about £15 a piece and are the dogs ******** for flexibility, the bases are £1, which you will need if they are going surface, has a fixed terminal block in the base, you wire into this then they give you a 100mm flylead which has the connector onthe end, just plug in the lead and quater turn, thats it....1 in 59 to go....:D never had one faulty unit in all that i have fitted, most that has been wrong is the base missing out of ONE box...which aint bad out of a few hundred....

BR

9. MICC

MICC Member

Sounds good, what wholesalers do you use, larger ones please.
    Have an account at Edmundson Electrical, would they stock them?

10. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i dont use large ones, if you know hemel well, try ohms and watts up maylands avenye(industryal estate) try everyone, give em all a ring....

BR

11. MICC

MICC Member

God your close to me!
    I am in the watford area afew jct down the m1.
    Should be able to look up the ones you mentioned, thanks.

12. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Yup, try ohms and watts, they are:
    12 mark road, hemel hempstead herts
    phone is 01442 253838
    thats in maylands avenue
    yup,i can see m1 from here....looking down on it...
    Give em a try, they take time to serve you, but the prices are worth the wait! cheep as anything..

BR

13. MICC

MICC Member

OK will them a ring monday, ta

14. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

15. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Yea, but the site dont tell you ****

BR

16. MICC

MICC Member

Well thanks shed, will look into it later, there are alot of products available but will need some one local to supply.

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Yo - in common with most of their brands, Invensis websites are merde at providing info like that.

18. supersparky

supersparky New Member

any luck at ohms and watts micc?

19. MICC

MICC Member

Not had a chance ss, the missus has been using me as a taxi for her xmas shopping. Promised a great pressie mind you.
    Dont have to do the job until the new year so have plenty of time.

20. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Where is this job btw?local?