smoking in public house"s

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tetleyman, Jul 7, 2007.

1. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

if there was a referendum whether you could smoke in a public house, what do you think the outcome would be,not counting any room were food was served

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Unless you know otherwise...

Smoking is bad for you full stop:

;)

3. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

workin dawn pit was bad for you as well, but many hard workin men HAD to do it. goin to war wasnt good either, but men were forced to go, now they tell us we can't smoke...cos it kills.....non smokers die as well even if they keep out of pubs,

4. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

ext, you have not answered the question

5. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

tomplum, was everybody happy in the happy house on friday

6. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

the pub was EMTPY and because of that the beer was dreadfull the landlord smokes so he was nowhere to be found (as usual) even hawkins f'ked off early....

7. Smoking is bad for you full stop:

;)

Do you want to die HEALTHY !

8. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

I personally dont like pubs and dont smoke but I despise the way in which the nanny state has bulldozed in again. Pubs are closing at a rate of 6 a week. Smoking bans will urge the regulars to buy in beer from Tescos and sit home with Mrs Regular and watch TV and not be nagged for always being down the pub as well as fractionalise the money he may spend at the pub. Good alternative!

If pubs had good air management systems installed that changes air quickly and efficiently then this ban would have no reason to exist. I understand some of the whinges and also the stink on my clothes after visiting the pub and so only go when I have my gardening stuff on. There is NO scientific evidence, not a shred, connecting smoking with cancer and I believe that, however there is substantial evidence to link vehicle emissions with cancer.

Where I live we have a little pub that is also the hub of the community. Last week they closed at 9:30 cos it was empty. The Landlord said that he cannot sustain it for too long before he closes down. More people go to the church than the pub. Why? Political rumours. Thats why.

If more people sought facts than listened to political poppycock then they would have a tangible weapon against the legal system and Parliament instead of sucking through their teeth and taking every 'little' change that they pay for whether they like it or not.

9. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

To answer your question, tetleyman, I understand a significant - if not vast - majority support the smoking ban.

I think the health risk from 'secondary' smoking probably only really applies to peeps who are in regular contact with it, such as bar staff, etc.

However, the smell is reason enough to have a ban - it's such an imposition it's almost like someone smearing you with their excrement - take your **e somewhere else.

To follow on from one of your points, Far!ey, if some pubs close because of this, then fair enough - the best pubs will stay open. If more people stay at home and drink out of cans, then fair enough again - I'd rather not have people like that out in pubs anyway.

A pub is where you're meant to go with friends for a bludy good natter and a few good pints.

[Edited by: admin5]

10. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

so to now ammend the nany state list of 'ism's we can add non-smokist and wallowing in others smoke'ist.

Its not a matter of smoking or nor it is a matter of way of life being retracted from those that chose to smoke while they nattered. The £3+/pint that is paid to the Landlord could have made a contribution if not paid in full for air management systems so we can all breathe while we supped. Is this over your head d1ckweed?

The pub is its truist form is dead - We now have rooms filled with squeeking kids and guffawing adults tollerant of the screaming kids. All others have to put up with it or get out of it. Fair? No swings or playground and the pub has nothing else to offer so it closes because its customers cannot smoke. the blame cuts both ways twixt landlord/government

If there was any fear that you knew what you were talking about I would have a sensible dialogue but this is mere folly.

It

11. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

a pub is a place to go with your friends for a good natter and a few pints,,,,total agree with you there DEVs
    but my friends smoke and don;t like their right to smoke being took away, so should i pick non smoking friends ?, next step,, should i pick only healthy friends ?, next step non curry eating friends only,, now we're getting close to dicrimination, should we let covernment choose our friends for us?? and when we can see them ?

12. devil's advocate

Clearly, we do not frequent the same establishments.

Thank t'lawd.

13. devil's advocate

Hi Tom.

Very few of my friends smoke, thankfully. Before the ban, they'd smoke in the pub just like everyone else, and the non-smokers would go home afterwards and throw all their clothes straight in to the washing machine before going to bed (er, not necessarily together...).

Now, the smokers who can't last the night without a Cig have to go outside, and the rest of use have a good ol' smile at this.

As long as some of the population act like selfish, mindless kids, then roll on the Nanny State as far as I'm concerned. Some people are just so pathetic and seemingly incapable of behaving in a reasonable manner, so they just have to be told what to do.

14. devil's advocate

Oops, my first post directly above was aimed at the Far!ey, of course :)

15. The Trician

The Trician New Member

The decision - in a true democracy - should have been left with the landlord concerned, and should have been made as a purely business decision.

Two pubs side-by-side.

Pub 1 opts to go 'No Smoking' - a decision made by the landlord who wishes to direct his business activities towards the food and kids mkt - You know the one - the plastic pub - the type which, no matter whereabouts in the country, the interiors have been identically and corporately branded by the pub-chain owners. Boring and insipid places full of Sat TV and screaming kids. It's as bad as a bloody whacky warehouse.

Pub 2 -

Landlord elects to stay as a Traditional Boozer - smoking permitted, any potential employee T's & C's contain the following caveat - "This is a pub where the sale and consumption of tobacco take place - Although we have an extraction system, there may be a slight risk to your health should you choose to work here - by signing this contract, you waiver any future claim against us should you suffer any illness or injury which you have cause to believe were caused as a consequence of your employment here..."

This Pub is a pub - pure and simple - no annoying Sat TV or juke boxes, no kids, no bells and whistles - just honest to goodness Real Ale and fine company.

I know which one I'd be in, and it wouldn't be the one serving overpriced microwaved shiite to ill-mannered bloody kids.

The Nanny State can ferk off and find someone else to mither.
    Try Ferkin Afghanistan Gordon - I hear it's nice over there at the moment.

TT

16. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

well put trish, i'd be in the same pub even though i don;t smoke, good point about the ferking duke box too.and sky t.v

17. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

well said tt, man of my own heart

18. devil's advocate

Hi T' Trician.

I couldn't disagree more...

So, when I fancy a pint when visiting a new place, I first need to find the pub that doesn't allow smoking?

I don't think so - better solution is that I just walk into the first decent looking pub I come across, and all the inadequates who can't live without the weed just **-off outside when they need a drag, and leave the superior likes of myself to enjoy a non-smelly pint.

Smoking in public places is an imposition on the rest of us, pure and simple.

How can I put this politely? Er, I can't - so **-off and take your pathetic habit with you.

(I feel much better now.)

19. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Hi T' Trician.

I couldn't disagree more...

So, when I fancy a pint when visiting a new place, I
    first need to find the pub that doesn't allow
    smoking?

I don't think so - better solution is that I just
    walk into the first decent looking pub I come across,
    and all the inadequates who can't live without the
    weed just **-off outside when they need a drag, and
    leave the superior likes of myself to enjoy a
    non-smelly pint.

Smoking in public places is an imposition on the rest
    of us, pure and simple.

How can I put this politely? Er, I can't - so
    **-off and take your pathetic habit with
    you.

(I feel much better now.)

Yep.

20. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

I dont smoke, and I too hate going to a club or pub and coming home stinking of smoke, but I think they have gone too far.
    Whats wrong with having a seperate room for the smokers, or they build a shelter of some sort.

I did hear a few months ago, that they were going to stop smokers from smoking in the beer garden,cause of the kids or the parents who are there watching thier thier kids play on the swings etc.

Whats ***** me off, is that our whole way of life is being dictated too, and yet you walk along any busy road, and you are suffocating with the car fumes, or your eardrums are being perforated cause you happen to live near a flight path.

Its not just the smoking, but if you give them an inch they will take a mile, and things are going to get much worse.
    We have no rights, we have no free speach, we have to walk on eggshells on the time and be PC, well I for one is fed up with it.X-(

Rant over.:)