smoking in public house"s

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tetleyman, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Say's a smoker...

:)

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

3. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Now that the smoking ban has been in force for 12
    months can anybody tell me how much money has been
    saved on treating smoke related illnesses

No idea. But the pubs, restaurants and other public places are much better environments due to the ban.

4. Major Mal Funxion

Major Mal Funxion New Member

a pub is a place to go with your friends for a good natter and a few pints,,,,total agree with you there DEVs
    but my friends smoke and don;t like their right to smoke being took away, so should i pick non smoking friends ?, next step,, should i pick only healthy friends ?, next step non curry eating friends only,, now we're getting close to discrimination, should we let government choose our friends for us?? and when we can see them ?

It's not just a health issue. Most non smokers just hate ferkin Cig smoke OK? we don't want to go home stinking of stale second hand smoke, and if it forces people to congregate at each others homes, then the death rate related to smoking and passive smoking will go up again, because most homes don't have proper extracting machinery.
    To put it bluntly, what the government are out to achieve is total irradiation of smoking within a generation. I don't particularly agree with it, but hey! It's the way forward, much like getting gas guzzlers of the road, and knife culture down to manageable levels.

In otherwords, all that is anti- social. GET it??

5. devil's advocate

I don't go to pubs that often these days, HJ, due to having two li'l kids.

But, in the good ol' days (no-ones looking over my shoulder...) when I used to go once or twice a week, it wasn't so much the health issue that bothered me, but - as you say - the immediate effect of the stinky air both during and after the visit, and also the dry, sore throat the next day.

And this was caused by a bunch of moronic misfits. I mean - c'mon!

As it happens, since I tend to have friends of higher-than-average intelligence:)p), none of them smoked - (oh, another side-effect of having friends of htai, is of course, than they also tend to be atheists. But I digress...) - so your 'problem' isn't an issue for me.

However, when I do find myself in t'pub with smokers in the group (as I did recently) then the inadequates simply have to get off their fat arshes and go outside for a Cig - with everyone else looking on at them with barely disguised pity, and all of us hoping it'll start pi**ing down.

Oh yes, I did have one acquaintance from my old days who smoked, but even he wouldn't smoke is his own house - he'd go outside every time. Obviously, he wouldn't smoke in other peeps' houses either, but he would puff straight into your face in the pub... Honestly, I can barely tell you the delight I derive from imagining him now having to leave the cosy group in t'pub to go outside to serve his master.

I'd suggest that very few groups now meet up in their homes to have a smoke instead, unless it's something they'd done before. And I'm pretty sure the few who do are more than outweighed by the number who have given up completely.

PS. Your last sentence - no, I don't get it :(

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

To put it bluntly, what the government are out to achieve is total irradiation of smoking within a generation

I do hope so!

It's a disgusting, filthy, smelly, addiction which ruins peoples lives!

7. Major Mal Funxion

DA

All i'm getting at there, is that wether we like it or not, plans are afoot, by the so called " NANNY STATE", to get our nations house in order on a number of issues..And not before time either.

8. devil's advocate

9. Major Mal Funxion

Oh please your self!

10. Major Mal Funxion

Great subject Tetley, gotta hand it to ya, you got us all at it.

11. devil's advocate

Pah - this isn't a long thread at all

12. mantor

mantor New Member

To put it bluntly, what the government are out to achieve is total irradiation of smoking within a generation

:O :O

I hope he meant eradication.

13. Major Mal Funxion

Yes, but Audi, what if, as DA rightly says, we non -smokers just hated having to endure your disgusting habit.

If i stood in a bar all night an kept breaking severe foul smelling wind, you would want me out of the place.

Well that's a natural bodily function, but you wouldn't inflict it on people out of decency, you would go home...and probably make a Dr's appointment to get your bowels checked out!

14. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

Well i have done 12 months without the weed,do i feel any better now that i do not smoke i can't say yes or no because i don't know how i would have felt if i was still smoking but one thing is i have more money in my pocket,if i can stop after 47yrs smoking anybody can

15. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

well done Tetleyman,,,you started this thread because you were discusted at the government making you cease smoking in pubs, and now 14 months later you're celabrating 12 months smoke free lungs, Hows that for admitting that maybe this government can do somethings right even though you though it silly at the time
    big slap on the back to you Tetley from me.

16. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

and to futher add, your absence from the pub in recent months will add to your allready increasing better health, the reasons why you no longer frequent the establishment are:-

1 you no longer enjoy drinking without a cig

2 now that the smoke has cleared, you can see what a shat hole the pub has become since all the smokers have gone.

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Well i have done 12 months without the weed..

(9 years for me, next month)

18. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

Well 2 years tomorrow since i had a smoke,the government did have it right for once and i am £4000 in pocket well in theory

19. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

That is bludy fantastic, tetleyman.

(And I think 10% of that saving is mine...)

20. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

(You could have started a new thread tho' :()