So, I'm under orders to..

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Peter208, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

We have vinyl wall paper in our hall way. I'm under orders to change it for a Matt emulsion paint and just wondering if I could paint over this vinyl wall paper. It's in good condition with no loose edges.

Can I ask, how would you apply the new paint, I fully expect it will need two coats.

Thanks for any info.
    Pete

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Strip it off,better in long run, painting over it is ok until you scuff wallpaper & the colour underneath shows through.

Peter208 likes this.
  3. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

That's good point Kiab

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Zinsser make a wallpaper primer or strip. Sand. Gardz and paint

Peter208 likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look no further than Zinsser 'Wallpaper Cover-Up', made exactly for this situation, used it several times this year. Goes a lot further than instructions say, brilliant product. This will provide a sealed surface that blinds any pattern in the existing paper ready to apply at least 2 coats of your chosen quality emulsion using a roller and brush.;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  6. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Well, I asked for any info and I very much appreciate the feed back, thanks Astamax. Zinsser it is then .

7. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Thanks Wayners.

8. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

The problem with taking the paper off is that then shows what the wall behind it is like.

Frankly I'd just paint it. Attempts to stick more on rather than 2 even coats are usually a waste of time even when it says 1 coat on the tin.

Zinsser might cause problems if at some point you want to take the paper off. My advice would be don't get sucked in. People have been painting this sort of wall paper for donkey's years.

John
    -

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

........further, once sealed with the Wallpaper Cover Up the paper is stabilized and will not bubble up on applying the emulsion paint and will provide you with a first class finish once completed. As the emulsion will be adhering to the wallpaper cover up which is also an adhesion primer there is little risk of causing damage to the emulsion if accidentally knocked or scratched, please do not be put off by other posts saying what other people did for donkeys years that was then this is now. We are fortunate to have at our disposal much improved products and techniques especially since the 2010 VOC compliant regulations came into force.

Trust me painting and decorating has been my career and have always provided quality work and used quality products for over 40 years and never advertised for work not even once.;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  10. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Well, that's the kind of recommendation I like. Thanks for taking the time to add to your first post.

11. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

So a little feed back.
    We had time to carryout a little experiment. A small area in a corner of a corridor was painted with one coat of emulsion whilst a second area was given a coat of Zinsser and then a coat of emulsion then both left for 24 hr.
    We came to the conclusion that for us and our old vinyl paper that is without any signs of bubbles or pealing, that applying the emulsion direct onto the vinyl worked.
    Fast forward to today and having finished the Hall over the last weekend, applying 2 full coats of Matt, we are pleased with the outcome. The emulsion took well to the vinyl paper and the first coat did quite a good job of blinding the vinyl colour. The second coat went on well without any issues and we will now monitor the hall and its walls. Thanks again to all who offered advice.