Soakaway overflow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by _Matt87_, Aug 20, 2018.

  1. _Matt87_

    _Matt87_ New Member


    i've got a drainage system in my garden that has a couple of trenches with stones and they all end up in a soakaway.
    The soakaway gets overfilled from time to time, and I was wondering if I could build a connection from that soakaway (small surface trench with stones) that would dispose the rain water to my driveway (ouside of my fence). Water would then end up going down the driveway and to the street where there's a water entry point anyway.

    Are there any regulations preventing me to do that?

    Another option would be to connect the overflow to the rain water system pipe, but that's a lot of digging, and moving paving etc. I'd rather not do it.

  2. WillyEckerslike

    WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

    What happens to the water now when the soakaway overfills?
  3. _Matt87_

    _Matt87_ New Member

    it makes my garden uncomfortably wet.
    any comments on discharge of water to the driveway/street?
  4. WillyEckerslike

    WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

    To the best of my knowledge there shouldn't be any problem and you are allowed to discharge surface water onto neighbouring land/property at which point it becomes someone else's problem I believe. It does make you question however whether the soakaway is large enough?
  5. _Matt87_

    _Matt87_ New Member

    it's about a meter deep and 1x0.5m wide. quite big. however last rain season it was still making it wet all over.
    Would it be possible that it's because it's clay all over in my garden?

    i've came across this

    found it here:

    can you comment on that too?
    oh btw. i live in Scotland if that makes any difference
  6. Isitreally

    Isitreally Super Member

    SUDS regulations suggest you shouldn't.
  7. WillyEckerslike

    WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

    I'm wrong. Looks like you're lifting some slabs I'm afraid.
    I had completely forgotten SUDS. Dope!
  8. sospan

    sospan Screwfix Select

    A lot will depend on where you are in the UK. They tightened the rules up in England a few years ago and in Wales they are really strict with the implementation of new building control standards and the "rainscape" initiative.

    Down here any SUDS scheme must be 5m from a property and 2.5m from a boundary.

    I would contact your local Building Control Office to see what the local guidelines are.
  9. stevie22

    stevie22 Screwfix Select

    You can't discharge from your garden into the street
  10. _Matt87_

    _Matt87_ New Member

    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  11. sospan

    sospan Screwfix Select

    Yes and no. There are many existing properties - two of mine included that have historically discharged water into the highway. These are not affected by the changes. All new work has to be compliant with the different building control schemes in the area.
  12. sospan

    sospan Screwfix Select

    It is area specific, England, Scotland, NI and Wales have different requirements.

    Your best bet is to contact your local building control department. They will be more than happy to discuss your [problem and won't descend on you wagging their fingers

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice