Soaking wet fence wood

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Juliet B, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Juliet B

Juliet B New Member

I have received a delivery of wood for building a closed board fence and the featheredge board has arrived not just damp but dripping wet. It is packed in packs of 20 and 1 have 9 packs. Each pack is completely wet through to the point that they are leaving puddles. I am aware that the wood is stored outside, so obviously can get damp/wet, but this is soaking all the way through the packs as if it has just come out of a stream.
    My question is should I be contacting the timber merchants to replace with wood or just give it time to dry out before it is used. I am concerned that if I separate the packs for drying they will warp and if I leave them to dry in packs they will rot. I have moved the wood into the garage, which is not ideal for the garage given the water content.
    Any advise would be greatly received.

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Could this be preservative dripping off the timber?

3. Juliet B

Juliet B New Member

I am not sure. It is treated wood, but I don't know at what point the wood is treated.
    I have just been out to check the state of the wood and it is drying out. The amount of water on the surface of the packs has reduced, although in between the boards is still very wet. When you squeeze lightly water drips out of some of them.
    I have just stacked the packs so that they are off the floor and there are gaps between the packs to provide ventilation.
    The quality of the wood does look good as well.
    I am sure it is just me not knowing if this is normal or not.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Fencing timber is some of the poorest qulity timber out there.

your best bet is to get it up as quick as poss so it drys in situ otherwise it could warp out of shape making it harder to fit, just make sure you over lap the feather edge by at least 20mm making sure you nail through both.

5. Juliet B

Juliet B New Member

Thank you
    I will be putting it up as soon as poss. It was due to be put up today, but unfortinately this has not been possible, so it is now been rescheduled to next Saturday.

6. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Was it brockwells timber

7. Juliet B

Juliet B New Member

No it wasn't brockwells timber

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What will happen to the timber when it is outside being a fence?

Astramax, Tiny01 and CGN like this.
  9. Juliet B

Juliet B New Member

Chippie - Sorry I am unclear about the relevance of your question.
    When incorporated with a finished fence It would not get as water logged at it was delivered, not even the old fencing that I have, which has been stored in the garden for the last few months, has been that waterlogged. It is also currently in packs, which does provide some protection against warping, but also might add addition problems due to rotting if the drying process is too long.
    I might not be a builder but I am aware that it would not have been possible to utilise the wood in the condition it arrived, due the the excessive water content. The reason for the post was to obtain some advice on drying the wood out so it could be utilised, or whether I should be looking at contacting the timber merchant. I am aware it doesn't have to be completely dry before it is used.
    I have successfully erected closeboard fencing previously and I am aware of the amount the feather board can warp during the drying process. I have however never dried out such sodden wood.
    Hope this clarifies the reason for my post.

10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

If it's excessively wet, tell them to pick it up and bring out decent timber at the same time.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I get fence board and treated timber like that all the time and it is usually fine, just need to get some air between them.

What I do is put battens on the floor. I split the packs and individual timbers and re-stack in fours thin edge to thick edge which will make the tops flat. Leave a little gap then put down another group. Put another set of battens on and repeat.

Given the opportunity I always treat the timber before it goes up. Sometimes if boards are treated in situ, then if the boards shrink, unsightly untreated parts show. I normally get 8 boards across some trestles stain them and by the time I am getting to the last few boards the first have dried and I can flip them and do the other side.

Apteryx likes this.