Socket boxes in new build

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Neildwootton, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Never happened they ask you to tuck cables in boxes so they can plaster over it

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Get a bag of cheap 20mm screws and fit them to every box - the time taken is way less than having to clean all the threads out.

I did an install of a centralised vacuum cleaner - 2" pipework under floors and in walls with outlets dotted around -their boxes come complete with "anti plaster" covers which get removed once plastering is complete, but the system and boxes are not cheap.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Pollowick, its not the screw threads that get plastered up its the entire box! Getting plaster out of a screw terminal is frankly easy.

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Had one fill in 4" fan hole

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That bit is easy, I stuff them with paper/polythene - works almost all the time.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No dont agree with dot and dob Lec - its just a cheap lash up to rake the money in faster tbqh. You will never beat a proper undercoat and skim, its just not possible..as for mess? There shouldn't be that much if you pay attention to laying on. My plasterer who does the skimming for me is ultra clean and extremely efficient..a few snots on the floor here and there, 5 mins to clear up. Bad plasterer..one big mass of muck. I have seen holes in dot and dab etc when I was on site, some of the holes were caused by chair backs of all things.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Mr P all you need is stiff cardboard. Put the back box on the cardboard and draw a line around the periphery of said using a Sharpie etc. Cut on the inside of the line and push the square/oblong into the back box..sorted.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Do you agree with stud walls?

leesparkykent likes this.
  9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

OK then, does 1/2 " sound better?
    Either way, it's an indication of the depth.
    Anyway, it's easy. Have a 25mm box or bit of batten at hand and sink the 35mm box until it's level with a 25mm box/batten held against the wall surface.

Joe95 likes this.
  10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

From the British Gypsum site.
    With effect from 1st January 2018, Thistle Browning will no longer be available.

As an alternative, we recommend the use of Thistle HardWall for two-coat plastering or Thistle ToughCoat, which is as easy to use as Thistle Browning but with greater strength and durability.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes Lec - I see where your going m8, of course I agree with stud walls.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hardwall is brilliant stuff RS, but lets not forget the staple Bonding Coat m8..never had dealings with Toughcoat, but if indicated so be it..Have never used Browning, and I can see from your post that it is being discontinued, or indeed is discontinued.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That reminds me of once when a mate of mine had some plastering done JP, I phoned him and asked if his walls had been plastered, his reply was "yeah, and the doors and windows and the floor"!

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Know what you mean Sen..have seen that before m8, suffice to say the plasterer is one of the ''wack it on and lets get out of here'' type merchant.

seneca likes this.
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

And who does that? The point I am making is its usually done by eye and is usually much deeper than it needs to be. We are electricians not masonry sculptors. I think you are exaggerating. Forum idyllic post versus real world.

16. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'm not joking. That's how I do it and that's how I tell people working for me to do it. If it's a bit deeper no problem, if it's less deep than that, there's a problem. The 25mm measure makes sure it's at least on. In blockwork you'd be surprised how absolutely accurate it can be while taking very little time.
    One house I'm just completing fitting out at the moment has just four short of a hundred double sockets, and shed loads of single-gang boxes in it. And accuracy of detail and finish is important.

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I always get my spirit level out to make sure the damn thing is level.

18. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Haha....some sparky if you can sink a box to the reguired depth.

19. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Sinking back boxes to the correct depth, with a nice flat and level base to the chase so the box doesn't rock and deform is one of the first things you pick up as an apprentice. With cottages and old buildings with stone walls etc, you often end up with an uneven chase which is too deep and has no fixings. You then use sand/cement or bonding to stick your box into the hole, again ensuring the box is the correct depth. If your box is ending up back past the rear of the plasterboard when you second fix, you are doing something seriously wrong!

oddbod2 and leesparkykent like this.
  20. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

This is supposed to say can't and mainly directed at unphased ;)