Socket under sink..

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Camerabloke-02, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Camerabloke-02

Camerabloke-02 New Member

I'm staying in a flat at the moment which has got a comprehensive water filter system under the sink.

The water outlet for the filter system is directly above the electrical socket for the Dishwasher. Ie ie about 10cm above and if you disconnected the pipe without turning off the water it would gush onto the socket.

The flats been recently done up and the consumer unit is metal with RCD/MCD's suggesting the electrics were done in the past year or so if I remember rightly (I'm not a spark but doing up my house at the moment, in conversations with the builders I understand the regs now stipulate metal consumer units).

Surely this isn't safe is it?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Well-Known Member

Why would you disconnect the pipe without turning the water off?

3. Camerabloke-02

Only if you were a loony obviously but weirder things have happened... Or the joint starts to leak. It just seems odd to me to put a socket under the sink in such a way.

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

I've got some downlights in my kitchen ceiling, a couple are right under the bath. Do you think I'm best removing them?

PhilSo likes this.
  5. Hfs

Hfs Member

The socket should be installed suitable to its environment...Not likely to be splashed etc under normal circumstances.

6. Camerabloke-02

So this is OK?

Attached Files:

7. Hfs

Hfs Member

Not ideal but yes it’s fine as far as regs go in regards to it’s location... The lack of strain relief on the cable feeding said socket would be picked up on a report...Nothing a few clips wouldn’t sort out.

8. peter palmer

Location looks fine, done it like that many many times. Wiring looks iffy though.

9. peter palmer

Also the electrics getting a bit wet doesn't mean certain death for everyone in the kitchen. If it gets wet let it dry out.

10. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

Where does one draw the line, not build a house because it could burn down?.

11. xednim

xednim Active Member

not sure what reg's says about it but replace the switch with external IP65 or so rated and will be safe
    btw RCD will save you anyway- eventual short electrical giggling to your body but no kill- unless you have hart problems or electronic gadget build in

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Well-Known Member

Whats the thing in the circle?

Attached Files:

13. xednim

xednim Active Member

lime scale filter, common on those days WM/DW

14. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Seen the house fuse box under kitchen sink a few years ago.. Would of posted a picture on this forum had I been here then.

15. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Member

the dishwasher solenoid.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

‘Thing’ in the circle is known as an ‘Aqua Stop’

Supplied with several brands of washing machines and dishwashers, Bosch, Neff, etc

It’s the cold feed hose to machine contained within an outer sleeve with wires running along it

If feed hose splits or leaks this will be detected and water contained within outer hose

Solenoid within the box part then cuts water off to machine

Don’t know how common split hoses are these days but Aqua Stop supplied as standard to many appliances, although you can connect machine with a regular hose, nothing fancy :)

17. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Member

its just an inlet solenoid to fill the machine.the cables open the solenoid when the dishwasher asks to fill.
    the cables are contained in the outer pipe to contain them.the outer pipe isnt to catch leaks.the solenoid is placed at the start of the pipe,which does prevent the supply hose being pressurised at all times.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Cable entry to the socket needs pushing in as there should be no basic insulation exposed outside the socket.

19. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Well-Known Member

Also maybe use a grommet or gland, but it would only make a minimal difference.

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You can't use a grommet or gland on that type of accessory its too brittle. The cable entry would be a knock out slot that's just tapped out. To be tidy a length of mini-trunking wouldn't be a bad idea either.