Socket wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Daniel P, Mar 21, 2018.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Just for my own education........
    When would a 20A radial circuit ever be an alternative to a ring final on a 32A MCB? I can see it might be OK for upstairs but downstairs with a washing machine, tumble dryer, dish washer, switch the kettle on, a heater or two, etc., etc. would it be man enough for the job?

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

There is a surprise. I don't see an answer here.

Kind regards

3. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

If you read the link I posted earlier, it has some information for you. Also there are courses normally on offer at most local colleges.

Good luck.

Johnst1a likes this.
  4. Bazza-spark

I did try to help. I have the qualifications and don't need your link.

Won't bother helping you again with that attitude!

Get lost!

5. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

My question was regarding the suitability of 2 radial circuits, not a query of how to test, so your questions were unnecessary.

Thanks anyway.

6. Bazza-spark

My questions were extremely relevant. To advise as to the suitability of the circuits I need to know what your earth loop impedance is and the instrument you have used so I can determine its accuracy. Without this information I can only guess which I will not do.

When you come to an electricians forum and ask a question, at least have the decency to answer those put back to you if you want a free, professional answer.

7. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Right ok, apologies I suppose. I guess we've gotten mixed signals here in that, there is no way for me to carry out an impedance test, as there currently is no circuit to test. The old electrics were disconnected beyond repair, and have since been removed from the building. This will be a new circuit, so obviously can't be tested until I wire it in, hence asking the suitability of a 20A MCB before I start.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

For 2.5mm cable 20A radial or 32A ring
    4mm cable can go to 32A radial.

That's it I think.

Daniel P likes this.
  9. Bazza-spark

So as it is a new circuit it is notifiable under Part P of the building regs. You need to involve a sparky who is willing to sign off
    your work before you start, or submit a notice to building control.

Kind regards

10. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

I have a sparky attending today. I just wanted the answer yesterday as I wanted to get started, and he was unavailable to speak to.

Thanks, I managed to make a good start

11. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Sorry, didn't realise I walked into a dark alley, pal.

12. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

I'm sorry, I'm spoken for.

13. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

You're a strange person.