Socket with 3 cables... but no spur socket?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by chippy-chip, Sep 6, 2021.

1. chippy-chip

chippy-chip New Member

Morning!

I'm refurbishing my kitchen, which includes swapping the sockets for nice brushed stainless ones. One of the sockets above the worktop has 3 cables in it but I can't see evidence of a spur coming off it anywhere. The previous kitchen was in place for around 35 years since the house was built and even had the original tiles etc., on the wall when I moved in, so I'm sure a previous resident hasn't done anything dodgy - the wiring is as it was originally in 1985.

I've wired up the new socket exactly as the old, but am just wondering why it's got 3 cables in it and where the 3rd one is going! I'm intending to take a fused spur off a different socket on the same ring for two additional double sockets - presumably this won't impact - but I don't like that there seems to be something 'non standard' on a socket on the same ring that I don't understand.

Does anyone know why there might be 3 cables in a socket with no evidence of a spur anywhere?

Cheers

2. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Have you looked below the worktop for a socket with 1 cable in? or maybe the cooker hood.

chippy-chip likes this.
  3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Leave it disconnected and see what doesn't work anymore?

Ind spark, seneca and chippy-chip like this.
  4. chippy-chip

chippy-chip New Member

Yep, all the units are out so I've just a bare wall - the cooker hood was on a surface mounted single socket (with 2 cables so presumably part of the ring) and there's nothing below or anywhere else I can see that's spurred off it. Bit baffled really!

5. Ind spark

Do what another top job said good plan.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Could be outside socket or supply, have you tested the circuit to make sure it is a ring circuit ?

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Throw another one in "Lollipop"

One is the feed from the CU then the other two form the kitchen ring!

8. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I had a house of similar age where the garage CU was spurred off a kitchen socket.

9. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

Out of curiosity, would that be allowed (albeit unusual) if the feed were 4mm T&E?

10. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

No really a problem functionally if on a 20A breaker, but of no benefit and will just cause confusion if someone thinks there is a ring where there isn't, you wouldn't install that way.

4mm for radials is fine, some would argue a better job.

11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Odd, unusual, but who knows, just thought I would throw it in as a possibility.

12. chippy-chip

chippy-chip New Member

I don't have any external power and I've no idea how to go about testing it's a ring circuit, I just assumed it was. I don't normally fiddle with electrics - leave it to the professionals - but thought changing some sockets was as straightforward as it gets. I mean, I've wired it up the same as it was so I can't have 'worsened' anything, but seeing an additional cable in there just made me worry that there's a live cable dangling behind the plasterboard and not properly terminated or something dodgy.

13. chippy-chip

chippy-chip New Member

Will have a fiddle with it after work (leccy off obviously :eek:) and see if I can trace it.

14. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

From what direction do each of the 3 cables enter the back box eg top, bottom?

15. Ind spark

Have you got a continuity tester?

16. Ind spark

Too middle or bottom
    Michael Barrymore is that you?

17. chippy-chip

chippy-chip New Member

No, the only things I have are a non contact voltage tester pen and a socket checker with the lights on that tell you if it's wired in correctly.

I'll have a look at the direction of the cables in the box after work - can't remember to be honest.

18. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

Photos, we like photos!!!

19. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

If I only had a non contact voltage tester I would turn the power off and separate all 3 cables in the socket and then turn the power on. If it's a ring then 2 out of 3 will be live so I would turn the power back off and connect the 2 live cables into the socket and leave the other cable disconnected.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  20. chippy-chip

chippy-chip New Member

Cheers, I'll try that today.

Much appreciated everyone!