soil pipe air vent

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by alex, Jan 9, 2004.

1. alex

alex Guest

do all wcs require a vent pipe. I ask this because my downstairs loo just goes straight into a manhole with no vent pipe at all. Also how unusual is it to have two seperate pipes taking away the sewerage and while we are on the subject of soil pipes I have a pipe about 10ft long that is going to need replacing the problem is this pipe is not buried very deep only about 1ft below soil level and its right across the drive. How do I go about replacing this.

2. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Hello Alex
    "do all wcs require a vent pipe?"
    Ultimately Yes but they are often impractical to extend to the roofline and so a stub stack is used with an air admittance valve that allows air in but keeps the odours out.
    "how unusual is it to have two seperate pipes taking away the sewerage?" In the ground it is not usual but many houses have more than one svp - mine has 4. Is this what you mean?

"I have a pipe about 10ft long that is going to need replacing the problem is this pipe is not buried very deep only about 1ft below soil level and its right across the drive. How do I go about replacing this?"
    The pipe must be encased in concrete. The level of the invert in the manhole governs the overall depth of the pipe. The pipe must be poly and paint it with cooking oil before you put it in the ground and bury it in concrete that way if you have to replace it in the future you can break out the concrete and it wouldnt have stuck to the pipe.

:)

3. SJ

SJ New Member

I am installing a down stairs toilet, and after speaking to the building inspector, I do not require an additional soil stack and vent, as the original upstairs toilet enters the sewer at a distance which is close enough to act as a vent for the new toilet. I do not know what is 'close enough', but my entry point to the sewer are about 2 - 3 metres apart.
    Hope this helps

4. Charlie Far!ey

Yes your dead right SJ! When you're on top of the sewer then you can get away without a svp - Although I thought it was a max length of 1½ metres - I am probably fuddled - the true test is whether it flushes cleanly if not then a stub stack is needed. The pipe rarely fills more than 50% of it's diameter anyway so air can get in.

:)

5. alex

alex Guest

Thanks for your reply Charlie, my downstairs loo has no vent of any description and feeds into a manhole just outside the kitchen door into which the sink wastes join and then the sewerage pipe dissappears under the kitchen floor in completely the opposite direction to the other sewerage pipe which is at the front of the house and takes away the waste from the upstairs bathroom. Do I need to do anything about providing an air vent?

Thanks for the tip about painting in cooking oil I wouldn't have thought of that.

6. on the moon

on the moon New Member

Alex,
    If the water seal in the bowl is not periodically "lost" then you do not have a problem. Leave well enough alone.

7. Charlie Far!ey

Where in relation to your WC is the sewer pipe (distance (M))? Is it on a blind connection (connected by a sealed tee underground) or direct to a shoe in the manhole?

Be sure these manholes are foul water and not surface water - you must not mix them up. To confirm the odour usually gives them away otherwise get someone to flush loos in the house and look in the chambers to confirm water comes through the invert.

8. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

well, did a fitted kitchen b 4 xmas and sink waste went straight in 2 stink pipe(previous bods)but now that wastes dont seem 2 have a trap(now so slim ,and a pig 2 get water tight 4 some reason? any way client said of smell in morning so just put some 135degree fittings in 2 make a trap, outside was slabbed ,so no covers nor could i find any stopcock covers, even in the road as all brick paved, main in house stopcock was solid,wot a nightmare :-l

9. Davsas

Davsas New Member

Hi, sorry to renew this thread but I have a downstairs toilet that has a Terran next to it. From where I can see looking down it it connects to a pipe that runs under the house in the direction of the mail soil stack to the front of the house. My question is I need to move it to fit a new toilet where the waste comes from the rear. Do I need to refit an air vent where it is moved to? I basically want to move the connection from the side of the pan o the rear, and I'm digging out concrete to achieve this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]