Soil pipe been badly repaired?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Adam Stephens, Aug 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Adam Stephens

Adam Stephens New Member

I have recently had the cracked clay soil pipe repaired, but I don't feel the repair will last very long. It has been done by a joiner, who claims to be skilled at almost every job going.

He jointed the plastic pipe with a couple of non-galvanised jubilee clips, then attached the other end to the clay pipe with some silicone, which from exprience will eventually rot.

He has left the excavation open, but was originally going to fill with gravel, despite removing solid concrete. I am not happy with the results. Can anyone who is exprienced with this type of work please share your opinion on this.

P.s. it's resulted in the adjacent gutter inlet getting cracked, which is obviously annoying as it only opened up and became obvious after he left.

Attached Files:

2. You are going to have to get someone in to do the job properly, when they replace the gully and pipe make sure they use a proper coupling onto the plastic pipe.
    In my opinion the rubber flexi he has used is a temporary repair, and is just a bodge if used for a permanent one.
    At the moment all you have is a bodge job.

3. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

I will do repair same way but use bitumen based mastic to seal on the bottom, this rubber band is design for the purpose and is not galvanized as it will be made of ss steel, you won't have a problem with that in the future, and also is exposed so always accessible

stevie22 likes this.
  4. He has had a bodge job and it will always be a bodge until repaired properly.

Adam Stephens likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The gully and its surrounding is the biggest issue and needs repairing. Once it is repaired everything can be tidied up

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

When I feel ill, I always ask my window cleaner to diagnose and cure my illness. Yes, I would be a fool to do that, so why do folk ask non associated trades to do work that they clearly have no aptitude for? The gulley cracked because it has been set in concrete, the concrete was put under tension by some movement and took the clay gulley with it.

7. Adam Stephens

Adam Stephens New Member

Thanks everyone for the input. It's good to get some other opinions on this. I totally agree that a joiner should not have attempted plumbing work. There's a reason people are trained in specific trades.

I suppose my biggest worry is the silicone that he has used to graft to plastic pipe to the existing clay pipe. I can't see it lasting very long and may result in future leakage?

What should he fill the hole with if concrete or cement will result in further damage?

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Pointless until the gully is replaced

9. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Ideally you need to excavate and replace the gully and rest bend to do the job properly, it's not a huge job if you know what you're doing . If budget is tight then remove the previous repair, stick a mcalpine dc1 in the clay drain then connect up to the soil pipe .