Soil pipe under floorboards?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by homebrew, Mar 1, 2006.

1. homebrew

homebrew Member

Hi guys,

Quick question for you. We currently have two separate rooms upstairs, one containing a WC, the other is the bathroom.

We intend to move the WC INTO the bathroom, but the only place we can situate it is on the opposite wall to the outside wall where the soil pipe needs to connect.

My question to you guys is how would I go about running the soil pipe to the outside wall. Ideally, I would like the pipe to double back on itself under the floorboards and pop out of the wall, totally invisible! Is this possible? Can you use smaller diameter pipe until it meets the wall? I would prefer not to use the 'boxed in around the wall' method if at all possible.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

You could use a mascerator. ;)

3. walkers0301

walkers0301 New Member

use a macerator it only uses 22mm pipe

4. X

X New Member

And the joists run which way ???? from my understanding you will have to run accross joists at some point (which is not recomended with a 4" pipe)

With the soil pipe running under the floor with the joists and exiting directly out of the wall you will be ok... but it will mean then connecting to the existing soil stack.

Dont use a smaller pipe unless you are using a saniflow !!

Boxed in can look ok if done nicely

5. homebrew

homebrew Member

Cheers guys, thought about this option - Is there no other way besides having a noisy unsightly box fixed to the back of my bog? ;)

6. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

We don't the layout of the bathroom, but you may be able to put the bath on another wall perhaps?

7. homebrew

homebrew Member

Thanks Pengu, the pipe will run in the same direction as the joists, so that is one small blessing.

Any idea how much clearance under the floorboards I would need to install a normal soil pipe, taking into account the gradient needed to exit the house (it needs to travel approx 2m).

Cheers.

8. doitall

doitall New Member

You could box the wall in at say 1200mm with a nice shelf on the top, the cistern can be concealed behind it with an even nicer back to the wall pan

9. homebrew

homebrew Member

We don't the layout of the bathroom, but you may be
    able to put the bath on another wall perhaps?

Unfortunately, this is the only layout we can use. Due to the position of the window and door, the bath will only fit in the one location, which just so happens to be the toilet's prime spot! :(

10. X

X New Member

Nice one doitall... a 1200mm box would look a dam sight better than the normal 150mm

As its only a 2 meter run, you wont have to worry about the drop (any drop will do) the pipe will be supported as it exits the wall so all you have to do is use a length of metal builders band to support the pipe as you bend upwards through the floor to the pan (a piece of flatened 15mmm copper pipe to act as a strap will serve this purpose if you haven't got any builders band)

11. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I would install some fitted furniture along the W.C wall to hide the pipe or a concealed cistern with tiled boxing and removable worktop.

It's not a good idea for the soil pipe to run outside.

12. homebrew

homebrew Member

That's that sorted then!

Cheers guys ;)

13. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

If you can get 1" to 1 metre fall in the pipe you're onto a winner.

That's what the BCOs like to see for outside falls.

CC

14. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

Homebrew. You'll be sorry when you're having a nice soak & an infuriated teenager is beating on the door desperate for a dump.

15. homebrew

homebrew Member

It's ok. We're safe - there's a downstairs cloakroom wc too. ;)