Soil pipe vent

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dave The Developer, May 22, 2018.

1. Dave The Developer

Dave The Developer New Member

I’m renovating a 1930’s chalet bungalow. Currently there is a ground floor bathroom and I am adding one on the 1st floor. The gable wall has a window which makes it difficult to locate a soil pipe vent.

Currently there is a cast iron pipe which terminates about 3m up with an air admittance valve. In the garden there is an inspection chamber with a ground level vent (covered in chicken wire).

I’d like to keep this arrangement but I’m not sure how the ground level vent would be viewed nowadays! Any thoughts?

2. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Active Member

Air admittance valves shouldn't be outside as they can freeze shut.
    Is it main drains or tank of some sort?

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

I will post AGAIN after the mods decided to delete the below comment - which is to me, perfectly acceptable. Maybe a mod could explain why it was "removed".

Yes they can - provided they are designated as such. Floplast AX110 External Air Admittance is one that can be located outside.

A picture or sketch would be useful so we could see the layout.

4. Dave The Developer

Thanks for the replies. It was the AX110 I was looking at.

The house is on the public sewer, the inspection chamber and vent are in the garden just before the boundary with the road. As I understand it, there should be at least one open vent in the system to prevent pressure build up so I assume the ground level vent was added at the same time as the AAV.

As you can see, having an open vent 900mm above window height to meet building regs would be tricky so I would like to keep the ground level one, I'm just not sure how that would be viewed nowadays.
    Soil pipe.jpg

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

I would think feeding into that down pipe -extended as required with an AAV above WC level should work. My house has two opening windows - dressing and en-suite, the soil stack which comes from the en-suite with a AX110 terminates just below the level of those. No BC issues with that - give them a call and run it past them.

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Replace the cast iron with plastic,easier to work with.

7. Dave The Developer

Thanks for the tips. Sorry for the delay in replying. Just took down the cast iron pipe, the base was completely clogged with soil so it obviously wasn't doing much. I'll get hold of my local BC to ask what they think.