Soil stack issues? New fit bathroom - Video explains better!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by alexjb1989, Dec 8, 2019.

1. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Link to pics and vids

This video is the most helpful https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VQjssJwQOb7LxhLUsaYGRM3GP_I827Io

Hi all,

Time for a new project. The wife wants a new bathroom - basically same layout but with vanity units.

Our soil stack is internal and boxed in to the corner of the room, it runs down into the kitchen downstairs.

So, I have whipped of the bath panel to have a look at the stack, and it's confusing me a bit... I it looks like the stack that comes from the loft (110mm) joins into another (or just some kind of joining collar) - a fatter one. And I'm not sure if it is leaking. It is all wet around the top.

The waste from the bath and the sink fits into this 'weird fatter leaking' collar.

In all honestly, I know that makes zero sense, so I have made a video and I am explaining what I mean as I go. Please watch as it will help! You may be able to see th wet bit I mean. It is also full of sludge (does not smell when I stuck my finger in it)

Just want to get opinions, before I start ripping out old bathroom - is this issue going to have to be addressed or is it OK?

Please click the link for lots of pics - The video is probably the most helpful, I give a bit of a commentary to show what I mean.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VOdNw8gLaIP_-ajiAEg06VKzb119KcZ8?usp=sharing

Also.... Do you think the bath is on batons to increase the drop from the bath waste into the stack - out bath seems abnormally high - I always have to modify bath panels as plinth never high enough (in vid)

2. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

I've just stuck my finger in the wet bit around the 'joining' bit, and yes its wet, but the brown sludge does not smell. Is it rain water? Maybe coming in from the tiles? Here is a pic of the brown wet stuff! PIC

3. The weird fatter collar is probably a short boss boss pipe. If it appears that there is a leak then that is definitely an issue that needs addressing. The arrangement seems fairly normal the section up from the T will either terminate inside your loft space with an AAV or vent out through the roof. It's a bit hard to see but the T seems to be mastic-ed into the down stack which isn't usual.
    Having the bath on bearers is entirely normal especially on chipboard flooring to spread the weight.

alexjb1989 likes this.
  4. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Thanks very much for the reply.

I have just cleaned it up. And now it looks like THIS . Do you think it is more likely it is rain and soil from the roof tiles? It would smell more if it was poop and wee, bath waste etc.

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

That's an old manifold,your one has a concave top which collects any water and debris.

Plenty of water flow markings on the external soil pipe,they may be historic but need checking out. maybe get some rolls of blue paper https://www.screwfix.com/p/kimberly...eed-rolls-blue-1-ply-185-x-152mm-6-pack/73617 and stuff them above the tee branch fitting.
    if they go dark wet blue and the concave manifold part stays dry then its leaking from above :(

the black particles in the concave manifold could be washed down from the roof,seen it before. There is no smell which is a good indicator.

if its washed down from the roof maybe consider a roof flashing repair,there are other alternatives thou. The bath legs on battens is a good idea,maybe just support the bath waste pipe aswell :D

6. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Awesome thank you for the reply! I am actually going to start a new thread - As I have a different set of questions.

Just to confirm... It is rain water. I tied a tissue around the stack (above the joins) and it is wet. And is has been ****ing sidewards today. Must be getting in in certain wind conditions