soil vent pipe / Roof Vent / Air Admittance Valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kostas, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Kostas

Kostas New Member

Hi, sorry for the mixed title but at this point I can't be sure what kind of vent my property has (please see photos).

I have a vent on the roof near my bathroom window. Recently (probably within the last year) I started getting sewer smell when I open the window. I am pretty sure it was ok before (I live in my property for 9 years). Please have a look at the roof photo, this is the vent. You can see the pipes from within the roof on the other photos too.

I tried to contact a number of plumbers but it seems they ignore me (maybe too difficult job or?). So at this point:

- I don't know what kind of vent is it (i've google'd photos but didn't see anything like mine). Is it filtered and broken or is it just a vent and there is just more sewer smell in my pipes? How can it be fixed?

- I've seen some videos (mainly from the US), to replace it it seems someone has to be on top of the roof, right?

- I am happy for a professional to contact me with a quote.

Thanks

over-roof.jpg pipes-1.jpg pipes-2.jpg

2. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    The vent should be 900mm ABOVE the window !
    Good luck
    Peter

3. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Thats a botched soil pipe job if ever i saw one!

4. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

I think you may be able to fit a "Durgo" air admittance valve to the end of the grey pipe in the roofspace, thereby making the outer one redundant

koolpc likes this.
  5. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

I agree. That gaffa tape looks disconcerting too

6. Kostas

Kostas New Member

7. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

yes, should work fine, just check end of pipe under black tape to see if theres a joint collar on end
    ideally the Durgo needs to go into pipe rather than a join/collar to be a snug fit
    good luck

8. Kostas

Kostas New Member

Thanks, I will give it a go and post here with the results

9. Kostas

Kostas New Member

Ok I have just installed AF110G, the pipe was cut already so no joints or anything and it just slided in with a bit of a push. So far no sewer smells but I need to keep an eye on it. Btw is there a "sewer smell meter" or so, I've seen some that measure some of the sewer gasses but nothing labelled as such.
    Thanks

pipes-fixed.jpg

10. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Nice easy fix

11. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Yes, your nose!

12. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Doesnt look like the pipe was cleanly cut. If it were me, i would cut it dead straight.

13. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

got to love that section of 110mm pipe that sates "not glued" there is a song about that

14. Kostas

Kostas New Member

Yeah the whole thing is badly made, not only not glued but also on air, nothing holding it. I'll put something below it to hold it and maybe glue it.

Regarding the sewer smell meter, yes nose will do but since I live in the property my nose might get desensitised to smells.

15. NoOhmToGoTo

NoOhmToGoTo Active Member

Remember that a dirgo isn't fit and forget. They do go wrong so you'll need access to it in the future.

16. Kostas

Kostas New Member

yes thanks, it will be accessible.