Solar heating - costs and payback

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by imran_, Feb 24, 2010.

1. imran_

imran_ New Member

OK, so come on you solar pushers. Work out where I'm going wrong...

1. The average gas consumption for a UK household is 20,500kwh
    2. approx 27% of this is for hot water, 73% for heating
    3. approx 70% of the 27% - 19% - could be generated by solar

The 20,500kwh is going to cost you on average £700 (uswitch, the cheapest deal being £622).

So per year you will save 19% of this or £143.

Breakeven in years = install cost / £143.

Please help me out. Either it's being installed for less than £2k or it's a pretty **** option right now. I really do want to be convinced, but all these numbers are what everyone in the indstry agrees and accepts.

??????

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Nah, you are right Imran, all the cost analysis I have ever done point to a very long payback.

3. barbels1

barbels1 New Member

Seen to be green, I think that's the reason. I heard that the silica is shipped from wales to china where the panels are made then shipped back to UK. How many carbons does that take?

4. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Get real 'barbels' son, everything is shipped half way round the world and I mean everything!! It's called a Global Economy.

Little yellow fingers are cheaper than Taffy fingers and Taffy is too fecking lazy to get a job and the same goes for Lazy Jock & Lazy Tommy.

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Some of our solar systems are under £1.5K + vat. You've got the Green Grant hiked price there Imran son!!

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

What about Lazy Paddy?

7. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Aye & Lazy Paddy!!

8. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Imran son, Puller Towers has 2 x 20evacuated tube panels on the roof of the South wing. We don't heat water 4 months of the year. We're in sunny Scotland!!!

It saves a small fortune in the Summer, we just don't use any fuel for 1/3 of the year.

9. imran_

imran_ New Member

Surprised they're allowed on a listed building ;)

Put em on the north wing too, that way you can heat the moat and keep pirhanas in it!

10. 1tap

1tap New Member

"Please help me out. Either it's being installed for
    less than £2k or it's a pretty **** option right now."

You're right, it's a **** option. The king's new clothes are green.

However, the payback calculation is based on the current price of power. It seems likely that the p/kW will rise dramatically making it a better investment; maybe.

11. 1tap

1tap New Member

PS.

Have you read this?

[Edited by: admin]

12. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Wouldn't believe anything you read on DIYdoughnuts. There's a couple of good guys on there; Telly Tony Glazer & Delta T...;)

Listing building is nearer the mark Imran son, however it's home!!

Figures, figures, figures............a load of mince!! Seeing is believing!!

13. If you look at the payback on many new bits of kit then the break even point is alway years down the road.

Approx costs:
    Replace a boiler, £1500 to £2000
    Double glazing £2500 - £5000
    New kitchen £5000
    New bathroom - £3000

None of these have short paybacks.

The best way to look at it is that you will have lower fuel bills but you lost a lump of capital, which with a
    bit of luck you will recover when you sell the house.

14. imran_

imran_ New Member

Double glazing has a reasonable payback, boilers are usually replaced when knacked, and bathrooms/kitchens are usually for aethestics.

I agree though, as the cost of fuel goes up all these technologies become more attractive.

15. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

I considered solar thermal but just could not make the sums work. Especially when the subcontractor my builder wanted to use during my loft conversion put in inflated quotes.

Other factors which do not help include needing a new cylinder, especially if unvented as in my case. Secondly, most of the savings are in summer when less hot water is used anyway. Incoming mains water is a bit warmer and showers can run cooler. I use around 100kwh or gas a week in the summer for a household of 4 and a gas hob. I reckon that my saving with solar would only be 2 quid a week in summer and not worth the investment.

16. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Imran you stick to slinging in the combies,and we will advise our customers to have a proper heating system suited to their needs and provideing a solution to the reduction in carbon emissions

I agree solar is not for everybody,but as a solution on new builds its ideal and councils are now looking at very favourbly and it actually helps sometimes to get your [lanning through,remember the government target of 10% renewable

17. imran_

imran_ New Member

If you were trying to save the earth you'd be installing a biomass boiler not solar panels. 100% carbon neutral!!

As for newbuilds and planning I agree, but not something I get involved in - I can only advise my customers. And judging by a lot of their Chelsea Tractors I'd say CO2 emissions was unfortunately not top of the agenda. :(

18. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

a wood burner will give more heat and hot water for free if you want to spend the time collecting the wood and breaking it up and its a low carbon option. its always a balance of time and money though, depends what you have most of

19. Nirdam

Nirdam New Member

Imran post that up on Navitron.
    You'll be shot down in a blaze of glory.
    The naviton diyers can fit a working system for less than a grand.

20. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

The Navitron DaftDIY'ers are a dangerous bunch, you should read some of the things they do ***!!! No open vents on cylinders, using JG pipes for solar....etc...etc..the list is endless!!!