Soldered Compression Fitting

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tangoman, May 18, 2004.

1. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

Just had a look at my gas meter. The compression fitting on the pipe entering the house has been soldered around the top. Is this normal? Can't think that getting the joint off is going to be a breeze!

Tango

2. bleeding_knuckles

bleeding_knuckles New Member

Showing my ignorance here, but if it's in a suitable place to solder why is it a compression, not an end-feed, joint?

3. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

hi tango
    whats probly happened, is that the elbow above your compression fitting has been soldered, and because of the short distance between the elbow and your brass nut,the heat from the soldering has conducted to the nut and the fluid solder has run into it and stuck.its a common situation brought about with active fluxes and over exobrant heating of fittings.

4. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

Your right m8 - I feel an idiot now - didn't see the solder joint above cos the end going away from me was very neat, and the other must only be a couple of mm above the compression nut, so you can't see it for solder. One things for sure - that nut ain't ever coming off!

Tango