Soldering Wet Pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dubs, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Dubs

Dubs New Member

You know the story, you drain down and the section of pipe you are working on is constantly dripping making a soldered joint impossible.

Is there anything on the market these days that will allow you to solder a wet joint.

2. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

Hovis

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

prefer white bread myself :)

4. Sam

Sam Guest

A compression fitting always works for me :)

5. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

suck out the water with a wet vac,or carry on with summat else till its stopped

6. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

White bread is best mate.

Of course you could always use one of these;
    http://www.right-tool.com/pipupto212.html

Don't be like the tozzers that asked ''How's that work then??''.......Dohhhh!!!!!!, like the last time I posted the link.
    Oh dear, the English education system was found wanting again.

7. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

> Is there anything on the market these days that will
    allow you to solder a wet joint.

don't go shovin' bread up a water/heating pipe, you'll never get it all back out..use an absorbant cloth

8. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

don't go shovin' bread up a water/heating pipe, you'll never get it all back out..use an absorbant cloth.......what a load of sh...!!!, of course you can use white bread, everyone has been doing it for years.
    Ho 'Rubber Johnny' have you never dunked bread in your soup, or do they not have soup on your planet???

9. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

DP: Kwango is one of those knobules who goes around the forums with his brain dead thoughts, and puts on smiley faces when he has nowt constructive to say. As I say, brain dead ! :)

10. Bungditin.

Bungditin. New Member

may be it's just me but when you've soldered the joint how does the bread or the cloth come out.

11. Steve da Geez

Steve da Geez New Member

The bread dissolves. A cloth, on the other hand, won't. I have no idea how that scheme can work.

Cheers.

Steve.

12. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

The bread comes out after you've turned the water back on, you simply undo the fitting on the end of the pipe and let the water run for a few seconds until you see the bread come out.

I find a long thin sausage of bread works best although I'm still waiting for someone to invent little gel plugs that pop inside the pipe and give you two mintes to sweat up a joint until the gel dissolves!!

13. SLIM JIM...

SLIM JIM... Member

If you use a decent blowtorch, i.e. Mapp Gas you can solder wet pipes.

14. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

When youve no bread,no magic gel and no wet vac try attaching a short piece of gauge tube if its 10 mm pipe, or hose if its 15mm and blow up the pipe when soldering,technique is to take a deep breath and gently blow just enough to blow any water back up the pipe long enough to solder.

pwaf

15. Freddy_Jones

Freddy_Jones New Member

Bread here as well ,lol
    absorbant clothe indeed ...hahaha

16. Bungditin.

Bungditin. New Member

and don't forget when you start turning blue while blowing time to take a breath.

17. Freddy_Jones

Freddy_Jones New Member

one thing us Professional plumBer guys forgot to stress here ..

when we say bread ..

its the white /brown normal bread ....

an not this new fancy stuff with grain an nuts an bits in it ..lol ;)

18. fuctifino

fuctifino New Member

If you use a decent blowtorch, i.e. Mapp Gas you can
    solder wet pipes.

Not if theres too much water you wont,but i agree its pretty good.

19. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

im a bread man... and as a bonus, usually requesting a round of bread from a customer results in the offer of a sandwhich....." oh, are you hungru love, would you like a bacon sarnie ?"....... mmmmmmm bacon .......

20. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Bread and map gas for me.