Solid Oak, Cracks appearing!!!!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pikerray, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

We have solid oak furniture which is only 6 month's old and nasty cracks are appearing.
    The house is heavily insulated and we are wondering that the wood is drying out too fast, any ideas & comments welcomed.

2. multimick

multimick New Member

oak (moves) more than pine. your house is to dry possibly introduce some humidity ,bowl of water or a fountain (small)

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Bit late now! :O

You won't heal these cracks up with a higher R/H but will stop further cracking maybe!

:)

4. jutty

jutty New Member

alot of modern houses are way to dry for solid timber furniture and i must agree that adding some humidity to the house will help but not heal. the timber used however should not have cracked like this if it has been properly seasoned. i would seriously consider contacting whoever you bought it from...

5. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

Perhaps I should introduce a humidifier.

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

What you have there is called Nulabour oak and is prone to developing huge cracks when things start to get a little hot.
    You can however have it repaired, the estimate for repair will be about £10 though the actual figure will be more like £13,000000.
    Of course you will not have to pay this as the shortfall will be taken up by the taxpayer and you will in effect have nationalised furniture.
    Also if this is in your second home you will be able to claim another £150,000 in expenses.
    :)

7. jutty

jutty New Member

a simple bowl of water sat on a radiator will do the trick or you can pick up something a little bit more fancy in most big diy stores for only a few bob...

8. mack4165

mack4165 New Member

hi there i go out to see these things on a day to day basis with work to start off with most come from far east wet climate wood not seasoned right come over here in to hot homes thay will crack. if under a year old phone the shop you bought from dont accept a repair as will only get worse you have right to new one keep away from radiator direct sunlight + conservatories tell them wood not seasoned right small cracks can be repaired with hard wax easy to do