Solid oak floor with underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Stormbringer, Oct 12, 2019 at 3:06 PM.

1. Stormbringer

Stormbringer New Member

Hi,
    I'm fitting a solid oak floor on top of a concrete base with underfloor heating.
    I was thinking of using sikabond AT80. Is this the best adhesive or is there anything better out there? Also where is the best place to purchase it?

2. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Best glue in the world won’t hold solid oak over underfloor heating. You should be using engineered flooring, and then follow whatever the manufacturer advises.

Stormbringer likes this.
  3. Shytot

Shytot Member

Where do you live ? We use Ted Tedd flooring & their glue . They are based in Warrington..I agree with Phil use engineered flooring

Stormbringer likes this.
  4. Stormbringer

Stormbringer New Member

Yes I also agree but unfortunately the customer had already bought the boards before I got involved. Maybe I should have turned the job down. Devon

5. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

I’d let the customer know you’ve looked into it more and learned it’s not gonna work, maybe point them here https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ing-and-solid-wood-flooring-a-bad-idea/?amp=1
    If you do fit it, do so with no warranty, but they’re only gonna be disappointed when it inevitable fails and you don’t want that on your record, so I’d recommend they sell/return what they’ve got and start again.

Stormbringer likes this.
  6. Stormbringer

Stormbringer New Member

Cheers Phil,

That's exactly what I was thinking. The job is quite challenging anyway as it's an old mill conversion so the room is a semi-circle. Also they have electric sockets in the floor?? (Can't figure that one out). It's nice to challenge yourself once in a while.

7. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

Look in to this

Plenty about it on here too

Stormbringer likes this.
  8. Stormbringer

Stormbringer New Member

Nice one Wiggy, Have you used this yourself, looks too good to be true. Anyone out there used this? Phil have you an opinion on this product?

9. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

There is loads of info on here about it.