Solid oak flooring - do I need underlay

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JonnyNitro, Oct 22, 2009.

1. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

There are some very good adhesives around these days and yeah there is an argument for them in a hallway where you can't get your nailer in but i still like nails :)
    My second choice (as all on here know) is still elastilon over glue.

2. lamps

lamps New Member

what we all know to leave expansion gap
    that company reccomends to use there barrier
    but evo on a serious note i have fitted a lot of solid floors and i still do work in some of them houses and dont see any probs

3. lamps

lamps New Member

what do you do then rip up all existing flooring, do a bit of herringbone

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Lamps, they way i look at it is, dpm combi ulay costs buttons compared to the cost of a solid wood floor so why cut such a small corner?
    I adds minutes to the job, the customer pays for it so why not use it?
    Yes you have been ok............so far, but the day will come when one goes wrong, and when they do they do it big time!!!!!!!!
    If you have not done it by the book the manufacturer will swiftly place all of the blame on your head.
    And the cost may not stop at the cost of the floor.
    I have seen a solid wood floor move a stud wall, i have seen a radiator pipe severed by a floor, i have seen a solid wood floor fitted under a conservatory door lift the door so you couldn't get into the conservatory because the door was trapped.
    I could write a list a mile long of the things i have been asked to put right becase someone cut a corner.
    There answer if asked why it was not done correctly is allways the same............. "well i've done loads like this and they've been ok

5. lamps

lamps New Member

i get your point if u use a product go by there rules
    then you are not wrong
    but i bet most of them have been on concrete with no vapour barrier not wood

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

but when you glue do you not use a dpm?
    Bona d500 or summat like that?

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

90% of faults are
    no acclimatisation,
    poor gaps,
    no humidity checks.
    yep that covers most of it.

8. lamps

lamps New Member

that glue does me in cant use it, but to be honest dont do many floors now myself if for youngsters
    your right on faults
    they dont prep enough just unwrap and go

9. lamps

lamps New Member

on conctete pva concrete then there is a glue called gutoid
    which you trowel on but its nasty stuff

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Well i'm with you on that, a combination of my business evolving so i now find myself behind my desk most of the time and my fondness of my knees has pretty much stopped me fitting nowadays, ain't done much in the last year or so.
    I'm a salesman hahahahahahaha, i even have a tie for the posh quotes i go on :)

11. lamps

lamps New Member

i dont blame u, i was gonna say about being on my knees but didnt want to leave myself open lol
    but i grant you that you know your stuff

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I feckin hate glue, i hate all that dirty stuff!!!!!!!!!
    It's like all these karndean fitters earning fortunes.
    I can fit all that designer vinyl i just don't because i don't like getting gunked up with the glue lol

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I have one fitter who gets cortisone injections in his knee............says it hurts like a bs tard!!!!!! :)
    He's only a year older than me, so nah, i'll just oversee as much as possible!!!

14. lamps

lamps New Member

its the smeel it does me in, but that gutoid i think its the worst but its been fun evo goonight

15. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yep, work in the mornin........... as per!
    goodnight.

16. Andy the Joiner

Andy the Joiner New Member

Have you though about using Sika underlay and adhesive? I bought some through a company call IDS www.idsurfaces.co.uk the details on the fitting instructions are on the following website www.tuscanflooring.co.uk/installation.html