Solid Wood Floor installing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Biffo, Feb 14, 2006.

1. merlin33

merlin33 New Member

Thanks for reply Audi, things are a lot clearer now.

Merlin

2. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

no probs, another tip if you leave gap at stairs just ask carpet fitter to pack out with underlay before fitting carpet, you can easy cover 15mm by doing this.
    good luck

3. chappers

chappers Member

If I am laying flooring and it is running end on into the stairs then I scribe it in tight if it is running accross the stairs I leave an expansion gap and fill wilth cork and leave as big a gap at the other end as poss.

4. Biffo

Biffo Member

The wife LIKES the 3/4 Board i put down !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

chappers technically no, but if it is just a few meters you will prob get away with it.
    Are you having carpet on the stairs?
    If so why not leave your gap and get carpet fitter to hide it when fitting carpet.
    Biffo,
    just router some grooves in the ply and give it a couple of coats of varnish, save you a fortune on flooring ;)

6. kidha

kidha New Member

Hi
    i want to lay a solid oak 18mm floor onto concrete,as there are so many conflicting ways i am not sure which method to use.
    i am inclined to use elastilon but have been told my someone that the wood does not adhere to the elastilon and thus begins to lift.
    has anyone had problems with elastilon?.
    thanks
    Bap

7. matmo

matmo New Member

Elastilon looks like good stuff. Anyone know a rough price per square metre.

Thanks

8. chappers

chappers Member

Audi I'm no flooring expert and its not anything I've been taught its just that timber hardley expands along its length but can expand greatly across the grain hence my logic for being more cautious when boards are running parallel to something.

9. chappers

chappers Member

meant to add with regards to routering ply to look like planking, did a floor on a stand at the NEC last month for the furniture show and grooved it with a skillsaw to look like tiles, was well chuffed how well it came up

10. Biffo

Biffo Member

ok ,got the floor 18mm solid dark oak.
    the insurance are coming in tomorrow to fit ,they spat the dummy out when i told them a solid floor is going down ,lam came up
    Will they need the secret nailer to fit or can it be done by hand ??
    do the nails need to be sheradised
    cheers

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yep secret nail.
    i use a power nailer and 1 1/2 cleats also from powernail.
    Seem to work very well and never squeek or creak.

12. Biffo

Biffo Member

Hi audi,as i said can it be fitted by hand, Hammer n nails n punch .i cant see the insurance guys having the nailer
    what fixing centres 400mm ???

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yep 3-400mm is fine but i wouldn't fancy secret nailing solid oak by hand.
    I think after an hour or so they will nip off and hire one.

14. Biffo

Biffo Member

Hi Audi , guys came yesterday ,looked at flooring `both looked confused !!! one said "never done a floor like this before " Went on phone in van for half hour ,went away came back with box of gripfill ,saying were going to glue the floor down !!!!!
    Told them NO XXXXing WAY !! needs to be nailed . They got the leaflet from box "under NO circumstances is the floor to be glued ,must be nailed "
    Back in van for another half hour ,then done one !!!
    Ive mailed the insurance ,telling them im going to get the floor fitted by qualified floor layer ,£300.. get the answer tomorrow
    Whats the saying Fitter of all trades ,master of NONE
    Later Biffo

15. chappers

chappers Member

what a bunch of cowboys, even if they were going to glue it down then Gripfil isn't the stuff for the job.

16. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

What a joke, these firms a being well paid by the insurance company and not only are the underqualified but are quite prepared to turn in an unsuitable job just to get paid.
    If you had let them go ahead your floor could have failed within a week.

17. chappers

chappers Member

sometimes it beggers belief went to look at some sash windows a while back and while I was there the guy asked me to have a look at a floor in his kitchen well the thing was like walking on a trampoline.I asked him iff it was a floating floor and he told me it had been nailed down. so lifet a couple of boadrs to be met by an unbelievable smell of mould.
    Turned out the floor had only been down a couple of months was part of a new extension.
    The tossers had gripfilled what looked like roofing battens, (was hard to tell through the cloud of mushrooms),to a newly laid screed and then nailed to these all the battens had curled up and pulled away from the floor. leaving the whole thing floating in mid air at one end.
    Told him to get them back and sort it out, didn't fancy touching that.

18. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

It happens all the time, i loose jobs on new extensions/conservatories when i tell the customer how many months away the fitting will be.
    Same answer all the time "the bloke in the white van told me he can do it tommorrow"
    Whats the point in nailing to battens if the battens are just glued down? The strees on the floor wiil rip em straight off the ground!
    The trouble is that repairing it takes twice as long as the origional fitting.
    You are right to steer well clear of repairs like that.

19. Biffo

Biffo Member

Got the go ahead i thought I would !!!!!

ill use the 38mm nail ,is there any specific sort ??
    hire the pora nailer £20 per day

Later ok

20. Celtic30

Celtic30 New Member

Hi,

Can Powernailers be hired from Hire Shops or is it just other brands of portanailers that are available? I guess these do the job equally as well?

Thanks,

Damian