solution for fixing 25mm insulation over joists on a pitched roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by deanomc, Oct 19, 2016.

1. deanomc

deanomc Member

My building reg drawings says 100mm celotex insulation inbetween the joists and 25mm over the joists then plasterbaord. I have added the 100m which is flush with the bottom of the joist but I;m not sure how to add the 25mm as there is nothing to wedge it in between. In hindsight I should have just bought insulated plasterboard but I have already bought everything so I am looking into how this can be fixed. Also, once this is fixing I presume I use extra long screws to screw the plasterboard into the joist as normal.

Thanks in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've tack polystrene insulation in place with 40mm plasterboard nails & clout nails, don't need many per sheet, just need someone to help hold sheet in place while you nail.
    Simple job then to put up plaster board, I suppose you could even use a non solvent free adhesive like gripfill & glue polystrene insulation direct to plasterboard.

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Gripfill-Solvent-Free/143

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    deanomc likes this.
  3. deanomc

deanomc Member

Hi KIAB. I have already purchased the 25mm celotex insulation. Can this be fixed using plasterbaord and clout nails?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

See no reason why not, as I said in earlier reply, I've tacked polystrene insulation in place & Celotex is basically the same, but a lot denser/ stronger.

Just keep nails a lttle distance from the edge of the sheet, then your sure when you come to fix up plasterboard, the screws will then miss the nails.

Probably could also use 40mm plasterboard screws,(heads large enough) but no idea as whether they chew up celotex sheet as they are screwed in?

deanomc likes this.