Something to worry about or an old problem solved?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Lex Gilbert, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Lex Gilbert

Lex Gilbert New Member

Hi, I’ve recent purchased a 1901 Edwardian house and notice the wall is slightly bowed, nothing showed up on my structural survey but I'm not convinced he was very diligent as clearly there was an issue that someone has tried to Rectify. There are wall tie plates in the section that is bowed (these aren’t present on the adjoining semi). My question is do you think this is fully remediated or could the problem still be there ? Are there any signs I can look for that tell me if it’s fully sorted? I think the wall ties must have been added many years ago as the old door frame shown in the picture was bowed with the wall. I have attached a couple of pictures and exaggerated the curve to show where it’s bowed, it appears to be both above and below the ties, is this normal after a repair? Or could this be a sign the problem isn’t fully sorted and it’s just bowing in a different place now. The mortar is perfect and there are no cracks on the inside, so I’m Hopefully it’s an old problem That was solved many years ago and I have nothing to worry about. But would appreciate honest opinions?

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it caused concern you would not have got a mortgage on the property...if you have one.

3. Lex Gilbert

Lex Gilbert New Member

It was a desk valuation, so not sure I’ll put any trust in that.

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

If you had a structural survey done and there is an issue, in theory you have some comeback.

However, the pointing looks quite a few years old with no cracks so presumably it hasn't moved further since the repair.