Sopping over central heating pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Andrew Pearson, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Andrew Pearson

Andrew Pearson New Member

Hi, I had a new boiler fitted a year ago and it's just come to light the feed and return are the wrong way round.
    I know there is no problem as the TVRs are bi-directional. I just want it right.
    I'm happy swopping over the pipes which are on the wall, but I have 2 pipes running side by side across the loft which I need to swop over but I can't think of a neat way to do it which won't cause on air lock.
    Any suggestions?

2. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

What problem/s are you experiencing ? Is this a combi boiler ? When you state ,feed and return are the wrong way around , can you be more specific please ?

3. Andrew Pearson

Andrew Pearson New Member

It's a combi boiler
    I'm not having a problem as such, I'd just like it right.
    The feed on some radiators is connected to the lockshield and return to the TVR.

4. terrymac

You shouldnt do anything there is no need to. If it really bothers you swap the valves on each rad thats not the way you want it. But you are completely wasting your time .

Heat likes this.
  5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

Its not broken so no need to fix anything.

Heat likes this.
  6. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

The TRVs are bi-directional which means flow can go any direction through them, therefore there is no such thing as a definite flow or return on your system.
    So the system is correct as it is.
    If you really want the TRV having flow through it, going in against the washer, then reverse the body.

7. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

So you don't like the TRV on the other end of the radiator? Even though with a modern TRV there is no wrong way?

Also you say "some" radiators are the wrong way round, so does that mean others are the other way?

As others have said, leave it. All you'll do is create a more complicated pipe layout with absolutely no benefit.

Ps - I put the TRV where it is going to be most responsive, ie away from a corner or next to the draughty door. Also consider access so you can reach it without clambering past furniture (furniture also affects responsiveness).

I lay out the pipes for the simplest network below the boards to reduce bends, cross overs and overall length.

Hence the best TRV location isn't the best pipe layout.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Heat likes this.
  8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

This is inline with TRV installation instructions. Whether its on the flow or return is irrelevant (assuming bi-directional), best to put it where its going to be most responsive and air will circulate. So not in a corner, for example.

9. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Good point! I missed that the OP said some rads are connected different.
    That means swapping f&r pipes won’t change anything. :)
    A lot of people are under the impression that the flow has to go through a wheel head valve, or through a TRV.
    The bi- directional valves are made in such a way to prevent noise when nearly closing off. The washer in them is held tight.
    Ideally the flow should be going towards that washer, but not essential and choice is there to turn the body.
    Personally I prefer TRVs to be fitted with the heads vertical

10. terrymac

Some radiators must have the flow connected to a specific side in order for them to work at all ,vertical " designer " types primarily

11. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy New Member

My installer recently fitted a new combi,and reversed the flow and return through system,I also asked for all new thermostatic valves(bi directional) Months later when starting to use the heating was getting hammer drill noise! Then discovered he had not changed to old valves,simply screwed on new heads to old valve bodies,which are 30 years old and single flow. Laziness or incompetent? I paid for the job I asked for not to have him take parts home! Rang him about noise and he just said probably air in system,still not been back to face the music...