Sorry Shed Story

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gerard Runham, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Gerard Runham

Gerard Runham New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hi,

I have a shed leak issue. I purchased the shed 2018 but this year its showing leaks between horizontal boards, damp and floor leaks / damp. This was an ebay purchase! However labelled a very strong shed and it is with thick walls (21mm T&G) and sound structure. I further put this on a good base and thought I gave it a good treatment (Cuprinol Water Based).

As you can see the leaks or seep is significant and ultimately risks rot on the inside. It seems to be drawn in through the T&G but water does appear to sit on the outside depressions.

I realise I am going to have to wait probabaly to summer for this to dry out but what is my best course of action. Simply re-treat with alternative or something more drastic? Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

thanks Gerard

2. Gerard Runham

Gerard Runham New Member

Sorry picture didnt post before

Attached Files:

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

A picture from outside would be more helpful

4. Gerard Runham

Gerard Runham New Member

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Its still half a story with those pictures. Best guess its coming off the roof, hitting the fence and splashing on the wall. Can you take a wider perspective photo, A picture of a damp spot is just that, its whats going on around it where the problem is.

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Possible daft question but is the T&G joint the right way up i.e. the T pointing upwards

7. Gerard Runham

Gerard Runham New Member

T is pointing upwards.

8. Gerard Runham

Gerard Runham New Member

Wiggy, the shed is kind of surrounded by hedge and stuff. However you touch upon something I just thought about myself that is the shed could do with some guttering down the length as its seems to be only the length or sides affected. Thanks

9. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Guttering is essential.
    I'd get some cheap tarpaulin, cover the walls, let it dry out
    Then a good paint job.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

T&G doesnt look right to me. From the outside view. Maybe i am wrong?

11. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

+1 to T&G don't look right. Inside shot shows ingress along the join between
    individual planks as if there wasn't a tongue.
    Capillary action over the tongues? Water looks like it can sit in the joins on the
    outside, unlike featherboard or shiplap.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020