Sound Proofing

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by jackts, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jackts

jackts New Member

Was not sure where to post this so chose this forum.

A company that I do quite a bit of work for sent me an email today which I have replied to (lots of questions) but obviously won't get a reply to until I get home from work tomorrow.

They want me to soundproof a large conference room for them. Have never done anything like this before so all advice and links to suppliers appreciated.

The Email gave no other details, so I don't know if the problem is with the
    * floor,
    * walls,
    * ceiling,
    * door/doors,
    * window/windows, or
    all of the above or a combination of just some of them.

Will post more tomorrow, in the meantime, over to you.

2. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Jackts,

Start with British Gypsum, they have a wide range of products and systems for sound proofing ceilings, walls and floors. Go to their site and into 'The White Book', lots of information on sound insulation in there. Also their training centre is great for technical assistance.

There are plenty of window and door manufacturers who produce sound insulating products, double/triple glazing and so on. You shouldn't have any trouble finding some suitable companies by searching on the web.

3. jackts

jackts New Member

Turns out that people talking in the conference room (restricted information) can be heard by staff in the adjoining room.

Have suggested fitting a sound (fire resistant) door and Soundshield plasterboard. fitted with dab and dob on the two relevant walls. Will this suffice?

4. decorator dave

decorator dave New Member

hi jackts,

find out if it has a suspended ceiling, the noise travels through the roof void.

did one two years ago, removed suspended ceiling and had to extended the walls up to the roof, slab insulation in studframe, 19mm acoustic board, then finished with 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard. then re-fitted suspended ceiling.

as commercial premises, check fire/building regulations.

regards

5. sly saxon

sly saxon New Member

The first thing to check would be if there are any direct paths for the sound, such as gaps at the tops/bottoms of walls, over the top into any ceiling void (as already suggested), between fittings chased into the walls... if any of these are left, changing the materials used in the wall will have no effect.

One of the other 'tricks' is to use materials with differing properties to absorb different sound components (DG windows designed for sound insulation for instance might have 4mm inner pane and a 6mm outer). Adding a blanket material somewhere in the construction will help (dense bats can be fixed between the plasterboard and the structure, or between studs).

Soundblock plasterboard works because it's heavier and more rigid than ordinary plasterboard - but it's not 'magic' and it's only a bit heavier.

The other thing I thought of was seals on doors.

But this will all depend on keeping it airtight.