Soundboard4 on brick party wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Curtois, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Curtois

Curtois New Member

2. MJG1989

MJG1989 New Member

I'm also considering this. Did you install it in the end?

3. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

expensive stuff, resilient bars and double layer of acoutic plasterboard would be cheaper and acoustic sealer round edges, seems what alot of people are doing nowadays. im going down that route after being recomended it on here

4. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

just seen thats only 1.2mtr x 1.2mtr also, so would need two sheets just to cover 1.2mtr of wall costing £135 ouch, you would want a really good result for that

5. MJG1989

MJG1989 New Member

The soundboard works out at around £50 per sqm I think once you factor in all materials. Don’t think it it requires two sheets. In fact the appeal is that it uses relatively little space.

There is lots of advice on solutions that involve losing half a foot from the room, which for most people I imagine isn’t really an option.

I’d be interested to hear how you get on with the resilient bars @Madeofale. Do you know roughly how much it will cost you per sqm?

6. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

i mean you will need 2 as in one above the other not doubled up, 1.2 mtr wont reach the ceiling

if you went down the resilient bar route you wouldnt loose much as the bars are only about an inch deep, then 2 layers of acoustic board and skimmed, so about 2 inch or so all in

7. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

My own solution was: 50x50 stud wall spaced 12mm off the party wall, void stuffed with 50mm acoustic Rock wool, 15mm acoustic plasterboard, all joints and edges filled with acoustic sealant, 3mm high density acoustic rubber matting glued on to plasterboard, then another layer of15mm acoustic plasterboard again with edges and joints filled with acoustic sealant.....we have lost 95mm from the room but it's very effective in preventing airborne sound, so we can no longer hear the rejects from the Jeremy Kyle show next door screaming at each other, which is nice.
    It hasn't addressed the issue of impact sound travelling through the floor, so we can still enjoy the artillery barrage of constant door slamming, which will require further work.

8. Curtois

Curtois New Member

We used Soundboard3. Some improvement but probably not worth the effort. Problem is that flanking noise is coming in other routes and treating all of them is too expensive/difficult.