Sources of information

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gregor87, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Gregor87

Gregor87 Member

There are a lot of different sources of information out there in relation to carpentry and joinery, some are awful, and some fantastic, with a wide range in between.

Im a qualified Joiner who moved into a completely different role years ago, and quite enjoy reading this forum to try and keep up to date with various building methods and products. I must say however I have no idea what some are talking about as products change and through not doing the job day-to-day.

My question to you all is, what sources of information do you use that you have found helpful, or continue to use when certain jobs require a little bit more thought, or even just to remind you how to set out treads and risers.

Are there any specific books, you tube channels you have subscribed to or apps you find useful?

I'll start the ball rolling, with a book i bought recently which was quite simply a city and guilds level 2 book from amazon. Packed full of information to allow apprentices to understand different building methods in order to pass their skills test, but also great for the likes of myself, current professionals and DIY'ers.

Thanks in advance!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I always like rummaging around charity shops,charity bookshops for old books the building trades, got books here from the 1890's onwards on various trades picked up for pennies.

3. facilities

facilities Guest

Yeah I like a rummage also Kiab, also find interesting diy books from more recent history perhaps the 1950s, I remember a guy that was one of the first tv diy presenters his name was Barry Bucknall, he started a craze to modernise all your internal doors by “flushing” them basically covering up lovely internal panel doors by covering with hardboard edged with beading, everyone was doing it to look more modern, 20 years later it was ripped off to expose the panelling :)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's same with staircases,have found some lovely examples that been boarded over by hardboard.

And even floors don't escape the treatment, found some beautiful encaustic tiled floors, which been covered with lino,timber, or some other flooring over the years.:(

kitfit1 and facilities like this.
  5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yes agree. Fitted a kitchen in a 1930's mansion a few years ago, the idea was to rip the lino up and replace with Karndean. We had ripped the old kitchen out and started getting the glued down lino up (all 3 layers of it). Underneath the final layer of lino was the the most gorgeous original Terrazzo floor. Very small chips of black, blue and yellow..............it was stunning even though it was covered in glue. It was cheaper to have the Terazzo restored then to lay Karndeane over it (which would have ruined it anyway). Fair play to the customer, they loved the Terazzo as well and the kitchen finish was changed to work with the floor. I did take pics at the time but can't find them at the moment, as soon as i do i'll post them up.

As to the OP, i love having a poke around antique shops and always look for books about cabinet making or old local authority rules for direct labour.

KIAB likes this.
  6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I used that AJC Carpentry once.

Waste of time.

Geezer just sat there on his smartphone trying to spam the Screwfix forum.

7. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

:D:D:D
    wasn't me guv!

(I think) it was mentioned firm that run whole refurb job in Byfleet few years ago, most of them seemed alright at the time