Space between decking joists

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Matt1985, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Matt1985

Matt1985 New Member

Hi,

I'm about to install decking over the foundations of an old workshop in my garden. There are currently brick/cement columns which the frame for the old workshop floor sat on. They are 650 mm apart which I believe is slightly larger than is recommended for decking. Would I get away with using 150 mm x 50 mm decking joists on top of these short columns and 32mm thick decking boards? Thanks.

2. robbyn

robbyn Member

Hi, If you mean there is a support column every 650mm in every direction then a 6x2 will have no space to span and should be solid as a rock once noggings are fitted, if you can get a double joist on outer edges and think about strapping the joists to the columns to prevent lift as the timber dries

3. robbyn

robbyn Member

Sorry, should have typed “help prevent lift” as timber does what it wants and there’s no 100% way of stopping it:(

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

The problem he isn't so much the size of the joists as to the gap and the thickness of the decking.

At 650mm gaps any decking is going to bow and bounce, is there no way of fitting a joist in between the piers. ?

5. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Fit a doubled up rim joist/ringbeam around the full perimeter of the piers, then fit joist hangers at 400 centres off it, on the shortest span.

KIAB likes this.